Author Topic: Ryonet FX LED Exposure Unit  (Read 27152 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Re: Ryonet FX LED Exposure Unit
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »
Our exposure issues "only" cost us a couple hundred dollars a week, on average.  It's getting better but it's by no means fixed and "all good".  Nobody has to believe that, and it can be thought of as bashing, but I don't know of any other way to discuss it.  I guess I could lie, or just not talk about it, but there is a reason why a lot of us get on this forum and communicate with other shops.  I get a lot out of this forum and try to give as much back.  If it's considered bashing then so be it.  If I would have bought the Starlight and were disappointed and a Vastex was brought in and it performed great, I'd be telling the same story, but the players would be reversed.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
Seems like it has some useless bells and whistles, but that's what their target customers want because it sounds cool. Doesn't really matter the functionality of it to some.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 02:35:14 PM »
it seems goofy, but it would be a great way to stay on top of production numbers rolling off the unit.  I am sure has other purposes, but they should certainly explain what they are

Didn't even think of that, I wonder if that's actually in there though, looked like it was to start expos from the video but maybe it's for the extreme micro manager who wants to watch exposures from his smartphone.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »
The Saati unit I got is a 300w and it' a box of LEDs about 15"x12".
It's not a point light source but works really well.    I think they have another unit that is smaller.
I put this into a exposure unit I had and am getting great results.      I didn't want to buy a new exposure unit.
I expose PHU for 45 sec.     I like this, i don't think you can control 7 sec.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
the light inside the box looks like the SAATI 450W unit we have here. We've not had the chance to test it yet (and we've had it here for over a month!!!), but we are testing the unit Maxie has and have been using it exclusively for about two weeks now. So far so good.

If the light is indeed the SAATI 450W it is actually a very impressive piece of equipment. To me, it appears Ryonet just built a vacuum frame around it and added the control circuit.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, Pierre,, did you put it inside a box, or on a stand? (I don't know what you normally use for exposure, we are the old school light on a stand/vacuum frame system)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvieira

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2015, 05:24:04 PM »
I don't see a major bash-fest here. What I see mostly is input from a very different forum crowd than Ryonet generally markets to (though in all fairness, they didn't start this thread).
Unlike TSF, our crowd is generally more experienced, and criticism tends to be from  a fairly discriminating direction. They don't believe everything they hear, or take all claims at face value.

I asked for opinions and I got them. Never expected everyone to say "awesome", "brilliant", etc... You get what you pay for and even though I cannot acess the ryonet pricelist (they have a specific website for Europe with no prices) I know I won't get stellar quality from them.

I was interested mostly because it's the first LED single point unit I saw.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2015, 05:28:06 PM »
I don't see a major bash-fest here. What I see mostly is input from a very different forum crowd than Ryonet generally markets to (though in all fairness, they didn't start this thread).
Unlike TSF, our crowd is generally more experienced, and criticism tends to be from  a fairly discriminating direction. They don't believe everything they hear, or take all claims at face value.

I asked for opinions and I got them. Never expected everyone to say "awesome", "brilliant", etc... You get what you pay for and even though I cannot acess the ryonet pricelist (they have a specific website for Europe with no prices) I know I won't get stellar quality from them.

I was interested mostly because it's the first LED single point unit I saw.

Well, it appears that the light unit itself may be of fine quality (and I believe has even already made the rounds in Europe where I figure it's made), but whether it's a true "single point" is another issue. More like a small array with a well designed reflector.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvieira

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
Well, it appears that the light unit itself may be of fine quality (and I believe has even already made the rounds in Europe where I figure it's made), but whether it's a true "single point" is another issue. More like a small array with a well designed reflector.

this is where the language barrier comes in ;) that's exactly it

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
If a exposure unit has a reflector it is not a true single source of light. That said even my MH unit has reflectors.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
I have to admit that I have always liked the pure photopolymers just for the average run of the mill halftone plastisol orders at 45-65 Lpi but I came across an emulsion today that surprised me.  Now the exposure time is a little higher than Im used to. It was 30 seconds on a 305 coated 1/1 on an STEll. So that was cool. The 110's coated 2/1 exposed at 40 seconds.  It was solid art so you can't go too wrong. So the next test was 55lpi on the 305 coated 1/1 testing my halftone sheet. 1-100% at 55lpi.  Still at 30 seconds, boom! It held the 3% dots and 98% and I beat on that thing for a good 5 min "trying" to blow a hole in the emulsion with a high power sprayer. It was soooo cured. I know dual cure was intended for better image res and long production runs of 50k and over but now, I know. Pretty awesome.  Yes,  30 seconds is a little long of an exposure for using LED, but boy does that emulsion do its job it was intended for. They were needing production screens but I think I really could have come down to a shorter time and still had been perfect. This was totally baked on the back all the way through to  (squeegee) side. Bullet proof and holding small dots.

That looks like an LED cluster, not so much a point source and I'm not so sure about that reflector design, looks like it would diffuse the light to me but if it was engineered perfectly to work with the cluster spacing/location I suppose it could perform similar to a good MH reflector.

The claimed % halftones at 85lpi on a 230 is certainly impressive.  If true, I doubt that expo is happening at 7s.  I can't see a PP emulsion holding that but I know some diazo added emulsions perhaps could.  Diazo sensitized emulsions have long expos on LED compared to MH. 

Why would you ever need a bluetooth app to fire up an exposure unit?   Are you playing music through this thing? Taking phone calls?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
Hey Dan,

I just had a really, really long day with office / hospital stuff so I think I missed something. Still not out of the woods. Anyway, what brand? Saati or CCI or someone else? Once you said dual cure in my opinion (and that is all it is) those guys are great. Thank you

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »
brandon beat me too it, what was it?  That's a very fast expo for LED.  I know our film/glass is slowing us down but our diazo added PP emulsion is crazy long exposing compared to that.

Online brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
brandon beat me too it, what was it?  That's a very fast expo for LED.  I know our film/glass is slowing us down but our diazo added PP emulsion is crazy long exposing compared to that.

What Chris said!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 08:22:16 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, Pierre,, did you put it inside a box, or on a stand? (I don't know what you normally use for exposure, we are the old school light on a stand/vacuum frame system)

Steve

We use a 3140. I just placed the box on the lightbulb glass.

Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!