Author Topic: here's one about colleges that, to me, is a little gray  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
here's one about colleges that, to me, is a little gray
« on: August 27, 2015, 01:39:32 PM »
I obviously shouldn't and won't do a shirt for Stanford or Cal per se, but what about a group of grads getting together?
 Something like "Cal Class of '70 Caribbean Cruise"?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: here's one about colleges that, to me, is a little gray
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
If "Cal" is a registered name associated with the university I'd avoid it. It seems kind of generic though. Like here at Virginia Tech, you can print "Tech" by itself without copyright issues.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
Being outside of a major college town, Boston, we print for no one without permission from the school.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:40 PM »
If "Cal" is a registered name associated with the university I'd avoid it. It seems kind of generic though. Like here at Virginia Tech, you can print "Tech" by itself without copyright issues.

That's where it gets fuzzy for me as even "Yale" and Harvard" are not exclusively used for colleges.
For instance, would "Schlage Class of '70" be more acceptable than "Yale Class of '70"?

I'm thinking that avoiding the word "University", it skirts the issue.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:19:51 PM by Frog »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:24:39 PM »
We do a fair amount for Harvard, but they come through a broker, and are directly for the school or one of it's associations, Business School, School of Government, etc.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
Here in Alabama we can get away with printing college names as some of the major schools have the same name as the state,town or city like University of Alabama we can print (Alabama) all we want same with Auburn University, Troy University and a few other college's as long as we don't use there logo's or typeface.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
Yep, I'm going with simply "Yale 1954". I see no obvious reference to any college. I found a city of Yale, a school district called Yale, a forklift company, and of course, a lock company.

Interesting thing, this got kicked my way from Custom Ink!
Apparently a custy submitted some forbidden artwork (logo). After talking to me, the CI guy contacted her and gave her my name and told her that I could probably advise her as to how to proceed without stepping on any toes, and still produce something she'd like.
Where and how he came up with me is a mystery. (He either didn't mention Custom Ink or I missed that part, or I would have asked)

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:09 AM »
Yep, I'm going with simply "Yale 1954". I see no obvious reference to any college. I found a city of Yale, a school district called Yale, a forklift company, and of course, a lock company.

Interesting thing, this got kicked my way from Custom Ink!
Apparently a custy submitted some forbidden artwork (logo). After talking to me, the CI guy contacted her and gave her my name and told her that I could probably advise her as to how to proceed without stepping on any toes, and still produce something she'd like.
Where and how he came up with me is a mystery. (He either didn't mention Custom Ink or I missed that part, or I would have asked)

Kudos to CI for Customer Service on this one.  When their polices prevented them from doing what the customer requested their found another solution for the customer.  May have been a bit of CYA on their part by not doing the requested artwork but they went above and beyond for the customer.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
thanks to Syracuse university the alphabet around here only has 25 letters,  also  'CUSE & ORANGE & SYRACUSE are questionable.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.