Author Topic: DIY exposure unit: any plans or advice appreciated  (Read 6168 times)

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: DIY exposure unit: any plans or advice appreciated
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
I've done some looking into the metal halide grow lights and from what I can tell, these lamps require a few minutes to warm up to full output.

Do all MH units use a shutter for exposure rather than a basic on/off/timer switch? Not sure I'm keen on trying to build a DIY light shutter.

I bought my 1000W M.H (10,000 Kelvin) and ballast (i think it is called a ballast) from Sun Pulse in Sydney.
http://www.sunpulselamps.com/Home_Page.html

I chose 10,000 Kelvin because I think it gave me the proper wavelength.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/articles/MetalHalideLamps2_files/photo2_files/f2fig2.jpg

other kelvin vs wavelength can be seen from the following website.
http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/articles/MetalHalideLamps2.htm

As for shutter, I just use plywood that slides out and in. Nothing fancy.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:30 AM »
Thanks for that link, I'll give them a call to get some info and prices. Good lead.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
What is the budget? There are a few DIY ways to go depending on how much you are willing to spend.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:38 AM »
Just a smidgen off topic, but I'd sure like to shoehorn a BIGGER "hammer" in my little NuArc.

I've modded the vacuum frame to accept 23x31's and it works like a champ. But I like slow emulsions due to the room I work screens in is also my print floor. IE, not light safe. I am tight on floorspace having added an auto.

Anybody have any ideas on how to fit a BIG Bulb in a 800 watt fixture and physical space? I run an NP80. 4th bulb down here: http://www.wslusa.com/id172.html

A bigger ballast is not an issue really. I can source that locally, I *think*, but the integrator probably wouldn't work the same. (I am too "tight" for my own good.)  ;)

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »
Budget would be roughly up to half the cost of a new unit, because the only point of DIY in this particular case is to save money, too expensive and I may as well buy a proper unit. In Aussie $ I could get a decent desktop black light vacuum unit for AU$2500. So I'd say under $1000 would be a win.

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 06:45:53 AM »
Budget would be roughly up to half the cost of a new unit, because the only point of DIY in this particular case is to save money, too expensive and I may as well buy a proper unit. In Aussie $ I could get a decent desktop black light vacuum unit for AU$2500. So I'd say under $1000 would be a win.

Oh darn you're in Australia, I was going to recommend an eBay conglomeration of purchases that would have been under $1k shipped in the US.

I'd probably do the Saati single LED, build a cheap vacuum frame and find a used vacuum pump or buy a cheap Chinese version.

I built a DIY unit using strip led's and a timer control circuit I found on amazon. Had it set up with a vacuum countdown followed by an exposure countdown switch. Depending on how the Saati unit is powered the same could be done for it I'm sure, even if it ends up needing to be switched AC voltage.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 07:57:06 AM »
I have the Saati 300w LED and get great results with Diazo and SBQ.
I would highly recommend going this way, Metal Halides are being phased out.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il