Author Topic: Looking for High temp inline booster fan for the dryer hood. Any suggestions?  (Read 2773 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
We need a booster fan to add to the dryer hood to catch the fumes coming out. I remember somebody posting something here years back and can't find it.

thanx,

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DCSP John

for our dryer hood - we use an 8" inline heat rated fan from Atlas . its the same one the use to vent
their smaller dryers.  Not sure if this company is still around. We ordered 3, and still have the first one in the vent for the past 4 years.
here is a picture of the dryer that uses the same fans. $85 bucks each if I remember correctly.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Was it this thread?

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php?topic=5534.0

I have purchased a "fix" for mine and coincidentally am dealing with it right now.

My particular problem is with air flow and the inline exhaust motor goes off intermittently due to Nanny State *&^#%@! Thermal Overload Protection requirements. A STEENKING 10° increase would get me by juuuuust fine, but noooOooOooooo......!  It's what breakers and fuses are designed for!  <End Rant>

I'm going to have to hack my exhaust system, and do it NOW. I'm fairly handy and am going to weld up a bracket the get the motor in the cool air and drive my 11.25" fan with a belt. I have a 5/8 HP motor ready to go in. I've just been putting it off.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:17:07 PM by Itsa Little CrOoked »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We need a booster fan to add to the dryer hood to catch the fumes coming out. I remember somebody posting something here years back and can't find it.

thanx,

pierre

Put the fan higher up in the line, towards the roof and you don't need a high heat fan.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
Furnace blower fan w. outboard motor is the ticket.  Cut into the vent pipe and mount it.  It's holding up great on the outtake of our big ass Sprint HO. 

Thanks to Rich Hoffman for this, M&R uses them on the new Sprints.  You can buy from them direct or wherever else these things are sold, maybe local HVAC supply. I bought from M&R b/c I really appreciated the tip but I imagine they are less expensive from other sources.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Pierre, just pick one up at your local indoor hydroponic supply store.... 8)

Seriously, we use the ones in the link below and like them a lot.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=200697277550&alt=web
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We have a centrifugal fan at the end of the pipe, it's it's actually outside the building.
Sucks out the air and obviously is much quieter.
On the oven we have flap to control air flow.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
http://www.amazon.com/Tjernlund-D-3-Inducer-Vertical-Systems/dp/B000LDPUNI  This is what I use. I bought mine from my local HVAC supplier.

Offline Ross_S

Pierre;

Call me or go to a harbor freight or grainger (Something along those lines).  You have the same problem I have I actually might need 2.

Ross

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Set up a Venturi type of duct system if it's just for the end hoods. The blower and motor would not have to be anywhere near the heat.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
we have one from grainger in each line from each dryer, maybe 10 from the hood, and after the elbow joint, straight shot out the window. I don't recall them being high temp ones...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Pierre, just pick one up at your local indoor hydroponic supply store.... 8)

Seriously, we use the ones in the link below and like them a lot.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=200697277550&alt=web

I have the same one. Has worked great for over 4 years. I did buy a controller from harbor fright to slow it down some. At full speed it is loader then I can handle. At about 80 percent is is quite and still moves tons of air. Mine is mounted right at the end of the dryer. It sucks in 160 degree air all day with no issues. The fan body it self has a temp of 150-160 while running, if i remember correctly. Like John said the farther up you mount it the cooler it will run.

Offline Ryan

I'm revising this to see if anyone has installed a fan and is happy with it etc. I need to find one now to put in mine
Thanks

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I'm revising this to see if anyone has installed a fan and is happy with it etc. I need to find one now to put in mine
Thanks

we got an inline one similar to ebay, but $300 and it is very nice, quiet and 1200CFM (vortexpowerfans.com/vtx-1200). The air rushing in is louder than the fan. This is not directly in the exhaust though, we set up another collection point above the hood to catch any overflow. So far, so good.

If actually going into the exhaust, sben763 seems to have the best solution. Not sure how much air it will move, but should help. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
The one I had posted that you can buy with a filter to disguise any "plant" smell if your into that sort of thing... :P works wonders. I took it for granted and figured it was helping somewhat.
We got a new dryer without a hood(making one this weekend) so there is nothing to hook it up to right now and WOW!!!!! Huge difference! Sinks something horrible in our place and smokey too. May be a byproduct of the dryed plants 8) but seriously that 6" inline puppy when hooked up to a good hood does a heck of a good job! Ours was pulling 20-30' and was split into 2 ends.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com