Author Topic: simulated discharge seps  (Read 6199 times)

Offline ol man

simulated discharge seps
« on: October 15, 2015, 03:30:20 PM »
trying to do seps for an all discharge simulated process job. On black . any tips?
and when previewing in photoshop whats do you typically set your channels opacity to?
Thank you in advance.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: simulated discharge seps
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 04:04:55 PM »
Of course there's no white underbase, and I like 20% or under for the top colors, of course, there is no base, so I would increase that considerably, especially on a black background.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
I can't speak on the % of activator type discussions and the use of Low S mesh, but when I had been doing separation for two specific shops who do fantastic sim process discharge prints, it was very tricky to foresee the amount of opacity you might get.

For the two shops I did work with a good bit, I used 5 and10% opacity on my colors that blended together. What makes it tough, is that when you have a solid area, it was not just 10% opacity in reality. It was more like 70-90% depending on the color. Therefore, it was very hard to set up opacity across the board with just one set in all cases. You kind of hand to set it up duplicating the seps. 1 for 5-10% opacity and the other preview look for the 70-90%. Both sets contain the same sep information. It's not like plastisol and underbases.

The blend areas seem to blend quicker, easier than plastisol.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 07:55:51 PM »
For those in the know, wouldn't you want to put down a clear discharge underbase?

If not, when would you use a clear discharge underbase?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ol man

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
For those in the know, wouldn't you want to put down a clear discharge underbase?

If not, when would you use a clear discharge underbase?

trying to get away from having any hand at all.... normally we do discharge underbase with plastisol on top for all of our "photo" realistic jobs with much success... but i enjoy the pain of the challenge, and learning something new

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:26:35 PM »
our lead press op went to a simulated process seminar yesterday at ISS. they were adamant that no one was doing DC and WB seps.

which is weird, as we do them all the time.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 05:35:16 AM »
Wait...what? Seps by Joe D. Many ys ago. Our fiend Serj may have a few examples f what no one does as well

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 08:47:48 AM »
Eric:

PLEASE tell me your press op quickly corrected them :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 08:51:51 AM »
our lead press op went to a simulated process seminar yesterday at ISS. they were adamant that no one was doing DC and WB seps.

who was teaching the seminar...

was it a vendor or a industry pro?

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 09:57:44 AM »
Eric:

PLEASE tell me your press op quickly corrected them :)

oh he did. he also was offered a job during the class from another print shop...but we won't get into that.

industry pro. which is weird, as i've seen him do some videos of DC printing.

i won't name names as I wasn't there, but he is a shorter, stocky, bald gentleman.
Night Owls

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
I know who you're talking about ---  He wears very 'loud'/designer shirts :)

my guess is this:  Nobody or very few people are offering JUST seps directly designed for WB/DC printing, due to the complexities and R&D that has to be done on the print side to get things just right.  -- Ie, you can't expect Dan or Scott to know that with your matsui or cci or green galaxy ink system that these 2 colors are going to blend correctly on the shirt to get perfect results out of the gate.  Vs. with plastisol where you can predict that if you can make a good screen that the results are going to be perfect.

We've done some playing around with DC sim-process work and we've had to tweak to make things look great, it's certainly not as out-of-the-box easy as it is with plastisol.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
Ahhh.... If its who I think it is (you forget to mention an earring? :)).....  You pay him, and he will say anything you want.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
Notice the date........4 color DC

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 11:10:32 AM »
ah yes! i did forget the earring and hawaiian tees/ecko tees.

Tony, quit showing off!
Night Owls

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »
Its paisley and sorry Eric.