Author Topic: simulated discharge seps  (Read 6197 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: simulated discharge seps
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
Unfortunately, much of the aqueous technology today has swept past most industry gurus and consultants. My thought is that; if you do not have hands on, boots on the ground, realtime, day to day production experience for an extended period of time, don't give advice.
Snap

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
Unfortunately, much of the aqueous technology today has swept past most industry gurus and consultants. My thought is that; if you do not have hands on, boots on the ground, realtime, day to day production experience for an extended period of time, don't give advice.
Snap

i can't wait to come to your classroom sessions.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
Snap

i can't wait to come to your classroom sessions.

Seconded!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 02:46:12 PM »
I always take to Tony's advice. I don't pull squeegees, mix inks or any of the jobs I always did because as we grew, I had to tend to business, and let others take over the shop. So now, I like to consult with the folks running the jobs, though of course we taught them our ways, and they were allowed to go on there own as long as quality and speed is up to snuff. I still do the higher end separations, and I probably shouldn't really be doing that anymore either. If the guy running the seminar said that people aren't doing that anymore, then he's what I'd call a self described expert...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ol man

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »
Well i can say its a learning experience.... been up on press twice , remade seps and several screens .... hopefully monday we will have it dialed in...
fortunately this particular client doesn't have a hard deadline, and just want it to be right...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
I've learned a long time ago, to avoid using words or phrases like "all, everyone, none" and only use definitive words when I know for sure and even then, you could be wrong.

Always try to say, "based on my own personal experience". You may find different results. I might say, "this is what I do" or know that works for me".

I agree that I won't get you THE best seps the very first time...if I'm not at your shop on hands, and know how you do things or how your inks work as solids, blends, etc.  we can sure get you a good start but water base and discharge can be a tricky beast. It's best to have a good on staff artist, ER one that is interested in his/her career as an apparel artist and separator. There are many working in orint shops that just like to design and draw and could care less about how it gets done on press. There are places in your shop for them...if you still have someone that is print savvy as well as art savvy.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Underbase37

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »

Eric:

PLEASE tell me your press op quickly corrected them :)

industry pro. which is weird, as i've seen him do some videos of DC printing.

i won't name names as I wasn't there, but he is a shorter, stocky, bald gentleman.

Don't get me started on this guy.

Murphy37

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
does his name rhymm with Harley?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
I don't think it matters "who" the person is that said this, but maybe what they were actually "trying" to say. It may have been said loosely.

It's possible that the instructor was simply saying that there are no separation "programs" that are doing water based or discharge based separations. That would be true. It can't be automated, or not well at least.

All that can be done is to set a script to blend 6,9,10 colors to represent an image. This is what's done with sep programs now with plastisol but those are a little more predictable. It's like the special affect inks. There is nothing out there that handles what needs done with the seps to handle high density inks and predicting what will happen with stacking HD screens. If you don't know, you must compensate a little on each layer stacked. The more you stack, the more you compensate.

Actually, that would be easier to add into a script per every color added then it would to predict how to handle discharge seps in an auto sep program. I mean you could add that in, but it's just a starting point.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ol man

Re: simulated discharge seps follow up
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »
let me just say its alot harder than i expected......several revisions an i still think it was a 80 out of 100....