Author Topic: Vid tutorial on changing an element for various mock ups.  (Read 13914 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Vid tutorial on changing an element for various mock ups.
« on: October 26, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
 Andy (Frog) had a question about changing the color of an RGB file for various ink colors and garment colors for mock ups. I did this quick vid to assist with that task.

Thanks
DAN

https://youtu.be/j3v0gCE6Ewc
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Vid tutorial on changing an element for various mock ups.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
I cheated and fast forwarded to see the results. Looks like a winner and can't wait for "me and the computer" time late tonight or early tomorrow morning. That's when I do most of my art and lernin'.

btw, the custy went with my nice clean vector trace with high contrast and no shading, but I still need this (as I'm sure others do as well)

Thanks Dan
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline redwoodtees

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:26 PM »
Thanks for making the video. I can see how using layers and blending does not really advance you towards the end goal of making film.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
Great info Dan.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage in doing this same thing in channels vs layers?

My method would be the same as yours up until you took the new channel selection back to layers.
Instead, I would create a new channel and fill it with solid black and change the channel option to the garment color needed. I would then place it above the image channel.
Now I have the ability to change either channel to achieve the desired mock up colors.
Once completed I merge the spot channels to RGB and save for web as a .jpg to send the client.

I like your layer method and will play with it when I get a chance.  Just wondering if either method is "better" than the other?

Bill

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:29:18 AM »
Great info Dan.

Is there an advantage or disadvantage in doing this same thing in channels vs layers?

My method would be the same as yours up until you took the new channel selection back to layers.
Instead, I would create a new channel and fill it with solid black and change the channel option to the garment color needed. I would then place it above the image channel.
Now I have the ability to change either channel to achieve the desired mock up colors.
Once completed I merge the spot channels to RGB and save for web as a .jpg to send the client.

I like your layer method and will play with it when I get a chance.  Just wondering if either method is "better" than the other?

Bill

That's a good one as well. The only difference or the reason I would use my method all depends on the end result needed. For me mostly, the reason I go back into layers would be to set the art up on garment mock ups. It's just easier and less work to mock it up over a colored photo.

For example, I take the larger image samples off of Bodeck and Rhodes website in a few colors needed and create those same mock ups you see that people sell with shadows and highlights so they can change the garment color to whatever they need. All I do is mask out the garment, copy and past into channels then copy two. Adjust to burn out the highlights to keep the shadows and the other to do the opposite to keep the highlights. The shadow would be set in layers to multiply and adjust eh opacity...and the highlight to either white or some other layer feature that compliments for highlights. Then drop my art on top. One thing I like to do is mock the art up close to or literally actual size according to the dimensions of the garment that it would print on. Anything too large to me would be miss leading or false representation. Kind of a thing that bugs me but some times I do just drop it on close if in a hurry.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 08:02:56 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 09:26:46 AM »
Thanks Dan.
We don't normally use actual garment mock up pics...just a block of color behind the art to represent the garment color.  We then specify actual print dimensions.  I can see where if we were selling a line of tees it would really step up the presentation.
I do like the method you have laid out and be able to show a very realistic mock up.