Author Topic: Rhinestones over plastisol?  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
Rhinestones over plastisol?
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:39:08 PM »
Could Rhinestones be applied over screen printed shirt.
I have a request to screen print some shirts and then to apply some rhinestones designs with a heat press.

Is that possible? Would rhinestones stick to the plastisol ink?

Thanks

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Rhinestones over plastisol?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
my understanding is that they fall off.
Make holes in the art where the stones will go and you should be OK. easy fix!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:53:52 PM »
They do fall off. I just had a customer that I printed for do the same thing. Put the stones over the plastisol. The one that were on the ink fell off after the first couple washes. Everything that is on the shirt was fine.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:22 PM »
my understanding is that they fall off.
Make holes in the art where the stones will go and you should be OK. easy fix!

pierre

LOL.

Easy fix, right :)  Simpler rhinestone designs, OK, but more complex ones would be an issue with lining up the designs (holes).

BTW, you got too many "member squares". Is that the perk of owning a forum?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
He just wanted to earn that free night hotel stay.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
I am saving pennies for the Long Beach show! Figured I'm due for few free nights by now!  ;D

the real answer is, I just got tired of looking at !!! members and myself having only one star. I've had only one since june or so and went in and fixed it (so yes it is a perk of being an admin). And while at it, I figured, I'd make up for the lost time! And now all is right with the world again . . . (at least for the next few days)

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 01:08:20 PM »
Hold the phone folks.......you can buy rhinestones with adhesive backing designed precisely for this application. Now that said, large areas of plastisol such as an underbased print on darks, may interfere with the adhesion process. You can adjust in your artwork by leaving these areas open (which also helps if you need precise placement). Trying this as an afterthought on an already printed shirt is asking fortrouble though. Might work but no gaurantees on the adhesion.
And use that teflon sheet!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:15:39 PM »
Tony, you would look great in some rhinestones.

DK, just buy a B-Dazzler and B-Done with it!!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:23:02 PM »
I am saving pennies for the Long Beach show! Figured I'm due for few free nights by now!  ;D

the real answer is, I just got tired of looking at !!! members and myself having only one star. I've had only one since june or so and went in and fixed it (so yes it is a perk of being an admin). And while at it, I figured, I'd make up for the lost time! And now all is right with the world again . . . (at least for the next few days)

pierre

LOL

Hold the phone folks.......you can buy rhinestones with adhesive backing designed precisely for this application. Now that said, large areas of plastisol such as an underbased print on darks, may interfere with the adhesion process. You can adjust in your artwork by leaving these areas open (which also helps if you need precise placement). Trying this as an afterthought on an already printed shirt is asking fortrouble though. Might work but no gaurantees on the adhesion.

Only a one color on dark shirt. Do you know who sells some of those that are pre designed? Crosses and stuff, it is for a church.

LOL

That would B-too much to do. I could do maybe 1.5 shirts/hour

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
Google around for Rhinestone transfers thats what you want. Yeah we had a client at Alternative that had us place specific size and color stones in precise locations on a watebase print. Kept a couple of temps busy for a couple of weeks.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:08 AM »

pierre

LOL

Only a one color on dark shirt. Do you know who sells some of those that are pre designed? Crosses and stuff, it is for a church.

LOL

That would B-too much to do. I could do maybe 1.5 shirts/hour

Um, check with Preston, he has a machine that he got for his wife's business.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:09 AM »
he posted about that a lot at first, and then it died down.  I was wondering if they used it much.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
My guess is no. Stones and transfer paper are expensive and the process is time consuming. Yes you can set it and forget it but it takes quite a while to produce enough volume product to make appreciative $$. A little cash on the side? I'm sure but how much did the machine cost?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
I think those things are around $18k, I would have bought one used frankly.

There are kits to do them on vinyl cutters now...it's a great way to test the waters.