Author Topic: 4 color process vs. sim process  (Read 3222 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
4 color process vs. sim process
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
lately i feel like we've been losing so many 4 color process jobs, as we typically want to print them as sim process.

When you get a client that is adamant about doing a full color print with a 4 color process print, how do you handle it? In my opinion, sim process is usually more true to the art, but also way easier to nail than 4 color process.

But our clients for the most part are not stoked on paying for a 10 color print, and lately have been taking those jobs elsewhere. what do you all do in this situation?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: 4 color process vs. sim process
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:55 AM »
Honestly, I would explain that sim process is superior but costs more, then dial in the cmyk as best you can and do what the client wants.  Obviously it's up to you, but if that's what they want and they understand the limitations, I don't really see a reason to lose the business.  Maybe do a sample piece or your own art to show them (include problematic colors in the art specifically to highlight potential pitfalls of cmyk).  I can't imagine they are going to another shop and getting better quality than you can produce using cmyk, so price is the ultimate factor.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 10:52:27 AM »
I have found those customers are ONLY concerned about the cost per print....

Is it possible to be price competitive with a reduced screen sim-process print?

Also:

Are these ONLY on white garments?

Or is there a white plate involved?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 11:03:51 AM »
CMYK is for white shirts only, IMHO. We also do it with colored shirt, adding a white base and highlight white, nothing out of the ordinary. However, you can match color better/more easily with Sim Process. It's a job by job thing, just like everything else we all do. We're always working with the customer so they know what the limitations are; we can make a fine print, but if you're looking to match every singe color just so, they need to be paying a lot more. Pierre specializes in that sort of thing, but I think he still more sim process than regular process. (Pardon me Pierre, if I'm off base)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:39 AM »

Also:

Almost exclusively on black tees.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »
CMYK on a DC UB.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »

Also:

Almost exclusively on black tees.

Do these customers have samples of past work that they have thought was acceptable?

And like Kingscreen said:  Is DC underbase a possibility?

It is also totally possible that these guys don't give two Poops about real quality.....
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
You should have samples of the same artwork done both ways.....Nothing explains it better than how it looks up close and personal.....

Offline dlac

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
This may sound cheap and trashy but I have gone the drastic route.. I send a really good photshop version to Dowling Graphics and have them make it into a transfer.. They do a thursday gang run and it cost me $1.00 per transfer.. however I have to buy 300 of them so I don't do it on anything less than 150 shirts.. I and the customers are also amazed that it workis on lot of light colors.. Just did one on a comfort colors kelly green.. It knocks the crap of the real lights but takes on a hue that makes it almost look intentional on  real gamut of colors.
dlac
Rastor to Vector is my favorite.. disastor is my
specialty and Dots make me crazy...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:12:22 PM »
Eric, I know you've done some great CMYK. I've sepped one for you a while ago and saw the sample photo. That job was killer for cmyk.  If I sep it and add a base, your looking at 75.00 for seps. These customers won't pay 75.00?

When adding a base, you need to print that base high up off the shirt. Semi slow to medium speed and almost vertical angle to cut it onto the shirt. Don't smash it in. Then flash well. Same for the top comors but a little faster. Just a tad less pressure so as to not push it all over the base.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850