Author Topic: THE EPSON T3270 THREAD  (Read 17130 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: THE EPSON T3270 THREAD
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
yeah I tried it all, hot folder a no go since the .ps files had other bugs.  If anything will drive me to CTS it might be this incessant fiddling with film printers and rips.

... then you'll be fiddling with the rips for the CTS... ;)  -- no free lunch here.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 03:24:13 PM »
yeah I tried it all, hot folder a no go since the .ps files had other bugs.  If anything will drive me to CTS it might be this incessant fiddling with film printers and rips.

... then you'll be fiddling with the rips for the CTS... ;)  -- no free lunch here.

hahaha, dammit!  I actually don't mind fiddling but once I've fiddled I want the machines to repeat.  Lack of repeatability in machines is what really chaps my balls. 

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
So this is interesting.  I printed (3) 17" long sheets out with just our reg marks top and bottom.  Perfect alignment.

Printed a 3 color spot color job, (3) ≈18" long sheets.  Films are way off in length.

Seems like the problem is happening when the printer is actually printing in the middle so now my suspicions are back onto the RIP not controlling the feed correctly while printing.  I can't get anything to print in PK only out of the T3270 driver to confirm unfortunately.

Might just grab the wasatch trial and see if that fixes. 

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:13 PM »
I have no problems but I am using windows...  Also we register to reg marks vs film size since we are using a roll.  Here is a quick thingI found on gig posters about printer settings a while back.  http://www.gigposters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160420&page=2&highlight=epson+printer  Also we are not using the rip to output halftones since we make those in the files vs ripping tones with the rip.   I would get a pc and try it that way and need be run films via pc. 

Are you making a custom printer page for each new size of film output?   

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »
I have no problems but I am using windows...  Also we register to reg marks vs film size since we are using a roll.  Here is a quick thingI found on gig posters about printer settings a while back.  http://www.gigposters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160420&page=2&highlight=epson+printer  Also we are not using the rip to output halftones since we make those in the files vs ripping tones with the rip.   I would get a pc and try it that way and need be run films via pc. 

Are you making a custom printer page for each new size of film output?

Uh, not totally following this.  Use the PC for more advanced media settings you mean? 

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 01:16:31 PM »
Well after a lengthy set of testing, to put it mildly, here's the solution:

Set the paper type to Heavyweight Polyester.

Big thanks to Charlie from Accurip for assisting on this.  His T3270 outputted the file I was using for testing correctly, mine didn't.  After careful comparison of settings, we found it was the paper type.  I know a lot of folks were miffed about the upgrade thing with AR but I have to say that Charlie's support is worth every penny of that cost, he helped me troubleshoot an issue that was 100% printer related and had nothing to do with his RIP. 

My assessment is this issue comes primarily from the roll feed tension in relation to how the paper is tractored through the printer.  I could load sheets at my prior settings and eliminate the issue, for a case in point.  I'll go out on a limb and guess that there is a setting in the Heavyweight Polyester paper type that I can't access or adjust via the menu options on the printer that made this all sync up finally.

Sorry for mucking up this thread with this issue, hope it helps someone down the road.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 01:33:09 PM »

Big thanks to Charlie from Accurip for assisting on this.  His T3270 outputted the file I was using for testing correctly, mine didn't.  After careful comparison of settings, we found it was the paper type.  I know a lot of folks were miffed about the upgrade thing with AR but I have to say that Charlie's support is worth every penny of that cost, he helped me troubleshoot an issue that was 100% printer related and had nothing to do with his RIP. 

My assessment is this issue comes primarily from the roll feed tension in relation to how the paper is tractored through the printer.  I could load sheets at my prior settings and eliminate the issue, for a case in point.  I'll go out on a limb and guess that there is a setting in the Heavyweight Polyester paper type that I can't access or adjust via the menu options on the printer that made this all sync up finally.

Sorry for mucking up this thread with this issue, hope it helps someone down the road.

props to Charlie for this!
We constantly keep talking about the advantages of FM over AR, but not often enough it is said that AR works and it works well and that it's ease of use might carry more significance than the few additional features of the FM.

I think you should do a separate post so ppl know about his support.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 03:09:41 PM »
For sure, FM had slightly better screening and deeper adjustments for droplet/density at 2880x resolutions but honestly it didn't do anything beyond that that AR cannot in terms of the final output quality.  Linearization does play into this however since you need deep control over droplet/density to linearize at high resolution and is the only reason we would switch from AR. 

AR reigns supreme for ease of use in a mac workflow and the new interface is very nice to boot.  FM's failure to print from mac to pc without major file errors is why we had to give up on it. 

I'll copy/paste some of this onto a fresh thread, I'm sure with drama about the $150 upgrade to follow, haha.

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
So we got a T3270 last week and so far I'm liking it but for some reason the ink will scratch right off of the films - with a fingernail, or if another film touches it, etc.  Haven't had that problem with any film printer in the past.  Anyone have any ideas?
Running accurip black pearl, 720 x 1440, droplet weight 11, matte black ink, same waterproof inkjet film we've always used.
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 02:19:28 PM »
So we got a T3270 last week and so far I'm liking it but for some reason the ink will scratch right off of the films - with a fingernail, or if another film touches it, etc.  Haven't had that problem with any film printer in the past.  Anyone have any ideas?
Running accurip black pearl, 720 x 1440, droplet weight 11, matte black ink, same waterproof inkjet film we've always used.

Using the Epson Matte, i.e. pigment ink?  I would guess that to be the problem.  Dye ink gets in there much better than pigment in my experience.  You might be able to resolve this with a different film that "fills up" with pigment ink a little more and/or adjusted settings.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »

I agree with Zoo what type ink aftermarket or epson. I haven't used oem ink I dont know how long 10 years aprox.
Shane

Offline head north

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »
OEM Epson matte black. We've used both oem and aftermarket/dye ink in past Epsons (1400, 1430, 3880, 4900) and never had this issue before. The ink comes right off with the slightest touch.
Scott
Head North Printing
www.headnorthprinting.com

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 02:13:16 PM »
I just tried scratching the ink off and nothing. Using the ink from filmdirectonline.com  used for 10 years on 4800 and now the t series no problem. Using Ulano film or Midwest new own band film they are beta testing.

Try more ink or different film. What film being used? or Different rip to see if that helps.

Just suggestions.

Shane

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:46 PM »

props to Charlie for this!
We constantly keep talking about the advantages of FM over AR, but not often enough it is said that AR works and it works well and that it's ease of use might carry more significance than the few additional features of the FM.

I think you should do a separate post so ppl know about his support.

pierre

It's the only one we've used, very happy with it, though I haven't done the upgrade (not broken, don't fix it). And I've always found Charlie to be very helpful, stays on the phone until you're happy...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline im_mcguire

• !!!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
Can someone answer this question for me regarding this printer:

Can I use this for my films and easily change back to printing color proofs without issue? I share my epson with another department and they output color proofs for clients.

I have been living off of a few settings I have adjusted on my current 7880. But I really need darker films.

Thanks for any insight on this.