Author Topic: Hooping tricks?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline 1964GN

Hooping tricks?
« on: November 16, 2015, 04:40:41 PM »
Looking for tips on hooping straight. I did a few polo samples for someone and all 4 were visibly crooked (higher on the sleeve side vs the placket side). I am thinking a small T square and disappearing ink to give me a reference line. At least until I get an eye for it.

We have a rather large job (1600 pcs) coming up and they are a tad on the picky side :/ The logo is rectangular.

Your thoughts/tips/tricks?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Hooping tricks?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:48:13 PM »
Dealing with this earlier this morning. Zip hoods, but same idea, same skew. Any garment without a solid front
(zip, buttons, etc) is going to tend to sag in the middle, and you just have to compensate for it. Easy on a horizontal
shirt board, a little tougher on a hoop master etc. You are correct with squaring/marking. We use hypo-allergenic
soap and marker on the hoops.

Offline Mizzou93

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
I hoop them flat on a table and just visually make sure the hoop wing is at a 90 degree angle--square--to the zipper.  Obviously make sure your sweatshirt and zipper are laying nice and flat and straight. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mizzou93

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »
I usually put the bottom ring and backing in the sweatshirt then make sure everything is taught but not stretched.

Offline Mizzou93

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 08:25:20 PM »
For polos I use the Hoopmaster and make sure the clear arm of the left side of the Hoopmaster is straight with the shirt placket.  You know the Hoopmaster arm is straight and if it's straight to the shirt placket you'll be good.  Hoopmaster used to have a nice video on their website about this.

You can also use the same method as on hoodies with polos flat.  Make sure the hoop wing is square to the shirt placket.  I do think that it's important your shirt is laying flat and taught--no wrinkles--but not stretched.  Honestly I've done it so many times I had to really think about what I do!  Lol

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »
This is an age old problem. Hoopmaster doesn't think only facilitates the process.
Polo shirts new and flat on the table are not the same on the body and after a wash or two.
lastly no two bodies are the same given the same size.
This is not really a hooping issue but a placement issue. For some understanding take a new polo shirt lay it flat.
Using tailors chalk , actually we simply use ordinary blackboard chalk pointed on a piece of sandpaper, you can lightly draw  horizontal and vertical lines intersecting at the expected center of the design.
the lines. The lines  should be referenced off the placket AND using the fabric grain of the shirt as a reference.
Put the shirt on and see if what you thought as correct on the table is reporting the same on the body. Understand and learn from that exercise.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline jasonbrook

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 06:26:31 AM »
Hi,

If hoop is the most essential part, if not placed properly can lead to disaster. here are some tips how to use hoop.
http://www.hometalk.com/8019637/how-to-use-a-hoop-for-cross-stitch-in-an-embroidery

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:16:45 PM »
Buy a Hoopmaster and your problems will be solved for the most part. It takes the most difficult part out of the equation and gives you repeatability when you hoop. It becomes as easy as loading shirts on a press once you do it a few times. Well worth the money on keeping the garments straight and even more valuable on the time savings it gives you. It would probably pay for itself on this job alone after you add up the time saving alone.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin