Author Topic: Mlink in the building.  (Read 103766 times)

Online mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Mlink in the building.
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
this is really interesting.  That ink is way cheaper.  How do you buy it? bulk, carts? do you know how much it costs per liter or ml?

Those numbers are crazy different.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2015, 08:53:53 AM »
this is really interesting.  That ink is way cheaper.  How do you buy it? bulk, carts? do you know how much it costs per liter or ml?

Those numbers are crazy different.

It comes in jugs I believe but they are roughly 3x the size of the Brother and they are the similar in price as the smaller Brother cart. So the ink is 3x less basically.  M&R seems to be using less ink as well.  So the difference adds up quick there.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
Which machine printed which do you think? Which do you think looks better?

Same exact file sent to both machines.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
I'm gonna say M&R on the right due to the fades.  (which ever it is, I like the fades better on the right).

interesting difference in the gray color in the ribbon tho...

Do these machines have support for a colorimeter?  I'd guess that you'd end up with different color profiles for the shirt colors, pretreat, and maybe even fabric weave?

I'm such a 'technician' that I'd be wanting perfect color calibrated output from photoshop on my calibrated screen to the shirt... especially since you should be able to 'dial' it in nearly perfectly.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »
Let's see if anyone else has input.  Ill chime in shortly if not.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 09:46:08 AM »
Whites look more vibrant on the one on the left but Im not sure I like the fades on the front of the belt.  Looks kinda washed.  But I know nothing about DTG.  Id guess M&R is on the left

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
Here is the actual art.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2015, 09:58:35 AM »
Right looks more accurate tonally, but seems to be too dark in some areas, missing the brightest whites and some areas of the darker grays (like the detail in the belt).  I like how the left looks overall, but the fades definitely don't look as good on the stomach and the banner.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
Since I don't know squat about DTG, do you not have to calibrate each machine for grey scale and "4 color"? Wouldn't you be able to tweak both machines to make them look exactly the same as far as colors? Sure, the gradients and quality may be different. Do you not "build to your specs"? Just like I can't output 4CP screens on both of my CTS machines and expect to see the same print on press. I'm not trying to start anything, or argue with anyone, just trying to get it figured out in my head.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20:13 AM »
Left is the Brother, it has most detail but is also boosted areas of the design brighter than they are. Some areas look more correct than the M&R.  The right image is the M&R and it looks closest over all to the actual artwork.  But lost details where there was some in the artwork. 

A hybrid of the two would be the most correct to be honest.  But I wanted to show you all a image off both, same file.  No tricks.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2015, 10:22:50 AM »

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
M&R.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2015, 10:34:03 AM »
They are doing a print right now, 4.5"x2", its 3 color print (white/red/grey), ink cost.  $.02   8)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:31 AM »
So theoretically, if each machine is consistent in it's own "changes" to the original design, say, either not catching all of the fine small percentage fades, or over doing those same fades, you can go at it a design phase with that in mind and achieve a more accurate print from what you have in mind? Or, is that just becoming a bigger p.i.t.a.? Either way, that stuff looks really nice man! I'm voting for a machine that can get it done faster and cost less in consumables over time. Especially if you, Brandt, go at this new market like you did when you went from a manual press to automatic and leaped over what you were doing in the past. Tweaking some artwork to make these prints come out how you like them and cost less in consumables to keep the highest profit margin pays for the more expensive unit over time.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »
Again day 2 thought process here.... 

Each machine prints differently so I probably wont be able to keep both and not go crazy dealing with those differences.  M&R has the leg up here right now. Its faster, its using less ink and the ink costs less.

Each machine to get the most ideal results will probably need each design tweaked some what to match more closely the artwork or represent more closely a screen printed shirt.

I believe Marco did say you can calibrate the M&R to a color profile, we haven't got into that yet. 

Keep in mind I am commenting in the context of how I intend to use this machine. We have 500+ designs we could make available tomorrow for our retail customers, all that were screen printed before. So I want those items to be pretty close as far as color/detail that we sent them screen printed.  So we will have some leg work to do I think to accomplish that on either machine or both in some wild scenarios.