Author Topic: Mlink in the building.  (Read 103755 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Mlink in the building.
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2015, 11:02:24 AM »
Tweaking some artwork to make these prints come out how you like them

I still want to know why these machines can't be calibrated so what's on a calibrated monitor matches what's on the print.

this is freaking DIGITAL printing... the variables (within a set of parameters) should be able to be controlled nearly 100%...

(I'm sure they can be calibrated, just needs to be done and figured out...  --- Rich if you're listening... having a 'target' and a colorimeter built into a machine so that you *CAN* automatically calibrate to a color space would be an AWESOME feature)

Offline jvieira

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2015, 11:02:46 AM »
I for one, came into this thread rooting for the Brother. It is way cheaper and I have been considering for a while to sell our Anajet and buying a Brother.

Now, looking at the pictures and the comments on ink usage (I had already noticed they're VERY expensive) I have to say this... please stop ruining DTG for those of us who cannot afford a $45k machine! The M-Link is way better than I expected and judging by the pictures alone, quality seems better than those of a Kornit (which is even more expensive).

Guess I'll need to save for a couple more years before I buy a new DTG :/

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »

I still want to know why these machines can't be calibrated so what's on a calibrated monitor matches what's on the print.

this is freaking DIGITAL printing... the variables (within a set of parameters) should be able to be controlled nearly 100%...

(I'm sure they can be calibrated, just needs to be done and figured out...  --- Rich if you're listening... having a 'target' and a colorimeter built into a machine so that you *CAN* automatically calibrate to a color space would be an AWESOME feature)

Who said they "can't be".  As I said, I believe Marco mentioned it can be.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
Brandt, this is awesome. Very educational for those of us waiting for the DTG market to settle out somewhat. Thanks for that!

At the end of all the testing, It would be really cool to compare overall average ink costs, and compare that to the initial cost of each machine. That way, we can figure out how many shirts need to be printed before the costs are equal. It seems like the M&R costs less per print, but more upfront. Therefore we could figure up how may shirts the Brother would print before ink costs eat up any savings in the purchase of the machine.

...good stuff, brah!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »
Both seemed to miss the mark on the original in opposite directions.

Kind of frustrating.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
Brandt, this is awesome. Very educational for those of us waiting for the DTG market to settle out somewhat. Thanks for that!

At the end of all the testing, It would be really cool to compare overall average ink costs, and compare that to the initial cost of each machine. That way, we can figure out how many shirts need to be printed before the costs are equal. It seems like the M&R costs less per print, but more upfront. Therefore we could figure up how may shirts the Brother would print before ink costs eat up any savings in the purchase of the machine.

...good stuff, brah!

We have noted ink costs on several shirts so far that ill post when I can.  It's easily 1/3rd to 1/6th less ink cost for the M&R. 

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »
Both seemed to miss the mark on the original in opposite directions.

Kind of frustrating.

I agree, but some things coming off of each are really a nearly exact representation of the artwork. So one wonders if some variation on some styles of prints are just going to be the nature of the beast.  Assuming it could be calibrated to our monitors we might fix one type of print and break another since some seem perfect, then that black/white/grey style print was off from each. 

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »

I'm just curious why they don't do this at install...  -- not being argumentative or dissing the results at ALL... this is pretty freaking amazing actually.

I'd just love to see an automatic way so that you can auto calibrate based on the shirt/pretreat/etc...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:28:36 AM by jvanick »

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2015, 11:30:05 AM »

I'm just curious why they don't do this at install...  -- not being argumentative or dissing the results at ALL... this is pretty freaking amazing actually.

I'd just love to see an automatic way so that you can auto calibrate based on the shirt/pretreat/etc...
we do calibrate and profile the colors but we must be in the middle. The nice part is you can adjust.
Rich Hoffman

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2015, 11:31:29 AM »

Well as I mentioned in the previous post, almost everything coming off it is very close to appearance on screen.  That one example I used was the most extreme example we've seen as "wrong".  Both machines got it wrong as well so I think that suggests that it may be the nature of the beast. I do know I wouldn't want to change calibration sot hat it prints right only to have other things print wrong.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
totally agree...

so it's just one of those 'you can get close' but you still need to know what to tweak in the art for the best results type deals...

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
totally agree...

so it's just one of those 'you can get close' but you still need to know what to tweak in the art for the best results type deals...

At risk of the other prints being affected by changing color calibration I would probably just adjust the random print that may not look ideal. I doubt the common customer would notice on that one particular example.  But it was a vast difference between the 2 that I wanted to highlight.

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
 8)

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
8)

This looks incredible.  Which machine is this from?
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Online GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2015, 12:53:01 PM »
8)

This looks incredible.  Which machine is this from?

Mlink. Thats from a JPG, open it and print. Nothing special.