Author Topic: Mlink in the building.  (Read 103865 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Mlink in the building.
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
WAIT... I was under the impression that DTG was just for 100% cotton?  You can do blends and triblends with it?

can you post some pics of those?  They can't do 100% poly tho right?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
Clearly it seems that Brother is selling a lot of water/carrier in their ink since most of that went away after the heat press.

That is possibly why the weight difference doesn't like up to the volume difference.  Assuming pigment weighs more than water/carrier fluid.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Clearly it seems that Brother is selling a lot of water/carrier in their ink since most of that went away after the heat press.

That is possibly why the weight difference doesn't like up to the volume difference.  Assuming pigment weighs more than water/carrier fluid.

Well it is pretty much a water based ink.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
WAIT... I was under the impression that DTG was just for 100% cotton?  You can do blends and triblends with it?

A lot of them claim to. I tried a 60/40 NL and it faded the white ink badly. I tried a G8000 and it turned white ink dark gray. Both black shirts. It was crazy. But I am using an Epson mod so results could be different on those other two printers. Never did try colors...might have to give that a shot and see what happens.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »
That's a damn good print on a G200. Both sellable for sure. Thanks for the info Shelly, hope you feel better.

How many grams (or ML) of pretreat are you laying down and what is the area you are spraying (like 14x18)?

Both sell-able prints for sure, id say both are great prints.

The test proves is that the Brother is using more ink. I believe she picked this design randomly and we have not run it on either machine prior to this. So it was a even Steven test at least until someone starts objecting about swamp gas refracting light off Venus making Pluto release toxic laser beams that made the M&R use less ink. I am sure even this test wont be enough for some and we will need to bring in Nasa to measure the PSI used per print nozzle and weigh the ink at the atom level. I dunno folks. Take it for what it is, we've tested these things as even as we know how.

I find them both to be good machines, but they are different. Period.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline shellyky

« Reply #320 on: December 30, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

they dont recommend it... I did a 60/40 next level black tee and the colors were dull looking...i later tried just white text on a black and a char-black heathered and it appeared ok.
the tank top was triblend next level and i printed black and cream vector art on the that macchiato color...looked good enough for the style of print i did--it did appear to crack a little after first wash which for me, was ok because it was a distressed thing anyways.  I dont know how it will go with multiple washings, will need to do more laundry.  Also did  black text on a 60/40 oxford gray hanes beefy tee with good results.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #321 on: December 30, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »

Some might say if the inks are similar between the two (someone else's words not mine), then maybe the Brother is diluted with higher volume of carrier/water, thus requiring more volume to end up with a similar final result. Which means more ink sales when its all said and done.

This isn't shocking really as others pointed out. Most of us probably agree M&R wants to sell machines and Brother wants to sell ink.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #322 on: December 30, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »

they dont recommend it... I did a 60/40 next level black tee and the colors were dull looking...i later tried just white text on a black and a char-black heathered and it appeared ok.
the tank top was triblend next level and i printed black and cream vector art on the that macchiato color...looked good enough for the style of print i did--it did appear to crack a little after first wash which for me, was ok because it was a distressed thing anyways.  I dont know how it will go with multiple washings, will need to do more laundry.  Also did  black text on a 60/40 oxford gray hanes beefy tee with good results.

Thank you!!!  this is still a stumbling point for us... once they can do 50/50's, triblends and 100% poly we'll be super interested... until then, it's a watch other people play with them game for us.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #323 on: December 30, 2015, 02:37:51 PM »

Some might say if the inks are similar between the two (someone else's words not mine), then maybe the Brother is diluted with higher volume of carrier/water, thus requiring more volume to end up with a similar final result. Which means more ink sales when its all said and done.

This isn't shocking really as others pointed out. Most of us probably agree M&R wants to sell machines and Brother wants to sell ink.

this could also explain some of the 'drying' issues with the Brother unit... that is, if the other carrier elements aren't as prone to evaporation at low temps...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
blends work OK, they are more work on the front end.  We find that you have to do 2 light coats of PT for them to work.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »
blends work OK, they are more work on the front end.  We find that you have to do 2 light coats of PT for them to work.

With the two light coats are you doing something like half for a regular cotton shirt, then heat pressing it for 60 seconds, spraying again half and another 60 seconds of heat press?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #326 on: December 30, 2015, 03:17:15 PM »
I believe the Kornit is the only one doing poly and poly blends well.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #327 on: December 30, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
Shelly brought up a bag of shirts we've washed some of them couple times some just 1 time. Most felt great. Some had no hand at all. Particularly the Next Level and Hanes Nano T had zero hand. Gildans has a slight hand felt like most screen printed shirts. Couple prints were heavy hand but had large filled print areas.

Offline DGP ConsultCo

« Reply #328 on: December 30, 2015, 05:59:32 PM »
I believe the Kornit is the only one doing poly and poly blends well.

White and light colored poly can be done with just about any dtg...as long as you use the proper pretreatment first. That is the reason the 3rd party ink suppliers have light, dark and "other" formulations of PT. The holy grail for dtg is no pretreat at all and bonding to anything dark or light. The current dtg ink technology just is not there ...yet. First one across the finish line wins!

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
Speaking of pretreat, I'm thinking this stuff is somewhat like the emulsion type stuff they put on film for inkjet film so the black ink will stay on, I'm learning that pretreating is a very big part of DTG.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!