Author Topic: Old Closed Business Logos?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Old Closed Business Logos?
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »
Basically, I was wondering what the issues might be with printing shirts with the signs or logos of businesses that have gone out of business long ago.  I'm talking mostly about mom and pop type places (diners, arcades, etc), not major brands that were bought out or changed names or logo styles.  The idea would basically be "vintage" shirts of nostalgic local places.  I assume in at least some cases somebody alive still owns the rights, or maybe not?  How would you even research something like this? 

I can accept that this might be a terrible idea, but have always been curious... I have done it for personal shirts here and there over the years and ALWAYS get comments about them and asked where I got it.

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Old Closed Business Logos?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:53:35 PM »
ive wondered this as well

i have wanted to print some of the old logos from local companies that ive seen in our city history book.   some of the families are still in town even though the company isnt in business any longer - i dont know how they would feel about their family legacy on a shirt being sold as a novelty.

maybe our local museum might be interested in a few locally printed shirts - possibly the family would be okay with the local museum selling them.

Offline jvieira

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
i have wanted to print some of the old logos from local companies that ive seen in our city history book.   some of the families are still in town even though the company isnt in business any longer - i dont know how they would feel about their family legacy on a shirt being sold as a novelty.

I would not like that at all! I see royalties ;)

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
As far as rights go, wouldn't be much different from a place that's currently open, would it?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
I definitely don't want to step on any toes, which is pretty much why I started the thread.  There definitely seems to be a market for this stuff though.  I have one shirt I wear on occasion of a long gone corner store type place here in Austin and literally have had someone ask me about it almost every time I wear it.  Same goes for an old movie theatre one.  I have about a dozen other "ideas" as well.  I will always do this for personal stuff since I just enjoy it, but was wondering if it could be more as well...just not sure how to go about it exactly. 

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »
It would really depend on how the business was wound up.....If it went bankrupt, it could be that the intellectual property transferred to creditor.....If it were just shut down and it was a corporation the intellectual property might be wide open.....However, if it were a proprietorship or partnership likely the intellectual property is still owned by the original owner(s)...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
Good info.  What happens if say, the business owner is dead?  Would the rights to the IP transfer through their estate?

I guess I could always talk to an IP lawyer if I really wanna move forward with something like this...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 02:02:29 PM »
I know of one Key West Co that specializes in old bars dives, diners from that area from the 70'S. Pretty cool stuff. I think they are reaching out to expand the concept to other parts of the country. It appears that they do some research

Offline studog

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
  • I am back
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
Part of having a copyright is you have to protect it. If not then you lose the rights and any royalties. There is a company in Cincinnati that sells lots of shirts from companies that have been out of business for 10-25+ years and they have never had an issue. I'd look the name up in the secretary of state's office, I believe in most states, and see if the company is listed and if so is it dead or what.