Author Topic: Sthocastic sim process print  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Sthocastic sim process print
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:56:28 PM »
At the airport in New Orleans and came across this print. I noticed the blending. Familiar. This could have used some editing in the highlight areas but mid and shadow looks great.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ol man

Re: Sthocastic sim process print
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 08:44:50 PM »
Thats real nice... i may have to take another stab at sthocastic...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »
Mind you, I spelled stochastic wrong the first time so don't follow me. Lol.

I really like this method over any other. My fav.  The difference with this...as aposed to index...is that you don't need (as many) colors to get good 2ndary and tertiary Cora. It's sim (blending).  Index puts the squares side by side...and requires the eye and resolution to blend. Here with stochastic, you are actually blending the colors like true sim process or 4 color process. They overlap.

Some people also use them one 1 colors for finer detail.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ol man

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:43:43 AM »
Dan,
  Always following you,  Do you have recommended resolutions for index ?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 10:26:11 AM »
There was a sep program years ago I think from Squaredot.com that did this, for some reason it didn't catch fire and back then I knew about what I know now nothing, but saw a lot of very nice prints side by side to using round dots and the square's used less color and got the same result's.  Had to do a little digging but found it Screenprint Separator I guess it's still on the market use to be market with Posjet film which I used back in the day,  I want to say David Crain created the program.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:40:14 AM by 3Deep »
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »
There was a sep program years ago I think from Squaredot.com that did this, for some reason it didn't catch fire and back then I knew about what I know now nothing, but saw a lot of very nice prints side by side to using round dots and the square's used less color and got the same result's.  Had to do a little digging but found it Screenprint Separator I guess it's still on the market use to be market with Posjet film which I used back in the day,  I want to say David Crain created the program.

Yes, David Crane created that.  I know of a few shops in Fl that used it. The more colors, the better. I don't think his did the "stochastic" but it was an automated indexing method. I'm not sure. Some people ONLY use this method on everything.

Creating the art in index actually provided for a more accurate color print for approval. When doing retail mock ups and color prints of the art (for approval), The buyers are very picky more so due to a lack of understanding. When they see a color print, they often want it to be exactly like the color print. So index does this better since it's locking the color representation into a square and when you have 10 colors doing that, it makes a good representation of what the shirt print will be. Still not 100% accurate, but closer. So the buyers like that.

Pierre and I did Blood Moon with stochastic (on the inside of the character) with traditional halftones on the outside. I don't think the judges for the ISS show noticed it. We only took 2nd place or maybe honorable mention I think, but it provided good image detail for the skin texture. I liked it. :)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
Yes, that was an Index "action" of sorts. I learned to index somewhere along the way, so long ago I really have no idea; it depends on the art; fades to nothing are better with halftones, like Pierre's vampire shirt was a mix if you saw that one (really great print). After learning that, I gave a shot to producing sim seps, then converting each channel to diffusion dither in Bitmap mode and let them overprint each other; nice effect, but not for everything...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
Sometimes I feel like learning or trying to learn all these cools effects is useless here as our customer base is plain jane spot or a little halftone's.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
they are really just more tools for the tool box Darryl. We almost never index anything here anymore, years between them actually. If you learn the process manually, then it can tweak your creative juices. The thing I generally find is that they look fabulous from a few feet away, a little less so up close, so it can be a hard sell. I had a Disney shirt years ago done this way, I think it had about 14 colors I counted, and very fine "squares"...

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
they are really just more tools for the tool box Darryl. We almost never index anything here anymore, years between them actually. If you learn the process manually, then it can tweak your creative juices. The thing I generally find is that they look fabulous from a few feet away, a little less so up close, so it can be a hard sell. I had a Disney shirt years ago done this way, I think it had about 14 colors I counted, and very fine "squares"...

Steve

Chances are, If the Disney shirt was true sim Stochastic, it would have been one of mine. I've never seen any of our other printers do it for us but that's not to say they never of course.  If it were indexed, then yea, a few of them did that.  Stochastic makes use of the blending like true sim process. The two can produce very different results.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
I think it was a Mardi Gras theme, it's a over 15 years ago, considering where I lived in my memory of the shirt...

Steve