Author Topic: Help needed! one angle halftone printing Am i using dot on dot or flamenco?  (Read 9665 times)

Offline Hugomartin

And last I might be asking too much (Sorry ;) ) but I would appreciate any reading material as posted before on the subject of printing methods... articles, threads, PDF book to share anything! And again than you You guys might have different points of you but are all cracks the same... thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience...

Sounds like now you are looking for more general info on screen printing in general.
Well, here it is. Right in this very forum, just have a seat, pick a section,  and read, read, read.

Not in general i do simulated process o lot and want to know why i do what i do and whant to get better at it... that is all about halftones and printing methods regarding halftones... My point is I have lots of questions like why or literature says 45 degree angles for dot on dot but most of the people i know including my self uses 22.5... I was hoping there was a particular source on the subject instead of reading a page with thousands of posts... Thanks for the advise anyway ill look around in the forum...

post specific questions and you'll get specific answers. Most of us don't have the time to write a book. Also, conisder taking classes at the ISS shows. I am teaching two mid to high level classes this year (one on business development and another on screenprinting variables).

45 degree works on paper in the industries that don't use screens. Printing 45 degrees on the mesh hits the knuckles and causes pretty bad pattern interference (moire). By going to 22.5 you are skipping the knuckles and going between them (as much as that's possible).

pierre

Dont get me wrong i really appreciate your help. If only there was such printing bible jajaja. Im from Argentina and we are very primitive in printing techniques if i could afford it i would definitely take your classes  Im really passionate about screen printing... I have spend hours of reading and practicing to get decent results I still think i have long ways to go to even get near to the results i see here...  Thanks for the time to help me out.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
We use the 22.5° method mostly, but for CMYK plus spot, we'll use the 22.5° for the spots, and Cyan at 22.5, Magenta at 67.5, Yellow at 0, and black at 45. Do I expect Moire at 45°? Yes, but for some inexplicable reason, maybe because there usually is not a lot of black, it doesn't really happen. Now if I just took an image and converted to grayscale, it would have a crazy Moire, but now when we do this. It hurts my brain...

Steve

This is the first time I've ever heard it called Flamenco, that's a revered style of music to me...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Hugomartin

I havent found a legit detail explanation of the true flamenco method... Many say its same as dot on dot but i for what i gathered is not just dot on dot but has some offset to it (cant find what that offset is) So, anyhow ill call for now one angle prints (for all colors) dot on dot technique...

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Found on page 85, dot-off-dot...

https://books.google.com/books/about/Digital_Color_Halftoning.html?id=nRoMo3V5AEwC

Don't read too much at one time it might fry some brain cells, that is of course if unlike me you have any left to fry.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Brain cells fried, but good reading, not that I'll use it, but still, good reading.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Found on page 85, dot-off-dot...

https://books.google.com/books/about/Digital_Color_Halftoning.html?id=nRoMo3V5AEwC

Don't read too much at one time it might fry some brain cells, that is of course if unlike me you have any left to fry.

'just ordered the book from Barns and Noble. Hit me again in few weeks and I might have an intelligent answer for you Hugo!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!