Author Topic: Cleaning a dryer belt  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Cleaning a dryer belt
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »
I know this has been brought up before.  Lately when we are printing white or light garments, if the catch basket at the end gets full and the belt rubs against any of the shirts, I get black marks on them.  I was thinking I could turn the dryer on and let it heat and wipe the belt with a towel soaked with windex.  Is there a better way?
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Cleaning a dryer belt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:10:39 AM »
Have a dryer operator ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
That sounds like it can only help, though I have never seen an older belt clean enough to not mark white shirts that suffer prolonged contact rubbing.
If you don't have a regular crew member monitoring the dryer end, do you have a mirror mounted so the loader or unloader can check?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:16:22 AM »
Thanks, it looks like the mirror option because it looks like we will be a 2 man crew for eternity.

Offline UnderPressureSP

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
Build another catch basket and rotate out once near filled or throw the shirt in the catch basket into a box.  The key is to never let the bin over flow.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
Build another catch basket and rotate out once near filled or throw the shirt in the catch basket into a box.  The key is to never let the bin over flow.

This is where wheeled boxes, bins and baskets prove their worth

Offline DaveZ

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
I know this has been brought up before.  Lately when we are printing white or light garments, if the catch basket at the end gets full and the belt rubs against any of the shirts, I get black marks on them.  I was thinking I could turn the dryer on and let it heat and wipe the belt with a towel soaked with windex.  Is there a better way?

What model of dryer do you have?
Dave Zimmer
M&R Printing Equipment, Inc.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »

What model of dryer do you have?
Mini sprint.  I have 1 catch basket.  I'll just have to check it a little more often while printing. 

Offline dsh

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »
We put a little wireless TV camera to watch the end of the belt.  A little LED monitor is mounted on the press by the unload station.  Makes it easy to watch.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
I was thinking of rigging up a return conveyor belt under my dryer that dumped the shirts in a box right there at the loading spot where I can monitor and clear it out easily while printing. Also means I could move the dryer end up to the wall and gain some space in my loading area.
I'm sure there is something like this out there already though.

Offline canucklehead

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 12:44:05 PM »
Every so often I'll have a seat in a nice comfy swivel chair at the end of the dryer, grab some rags (dry or wet, both seem to work fine) and wipe the belt down along the drum end from side to side for a couple of cycles. It helps quite a bit. Especially before doing a run of whites.

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 02:31:11 PM »
Every so often I'll have a seat in a nice comfy swivel chair at the end of the dryer, grab some rags (dry or wet, both seem to work fine) and wipe the belt down along the drum end from side to side for a couple of cycles. It helps quite a bit. Especially before doing a run of whites.

What he said, works just fine although I usually stand, gotta remember the easy chair thing.
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »