Author Topic: LED Bulbs Already Failing  (Read 33277 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
LED Bulbs Already Failing
« on: February 12, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »
I was showing the Vastex LED to a few guests that stopped by the shop on Wednesday and to my embarrassment I noticed I had 4 diodes out on one of my strips.  It had been a few months since I had inspected the unit and I guess I should have done it prior to showing off the brightness (or lack thereof to some) of the LEDs.  My screen guy hadn't alerted me to any cool spots or any issues with stencil development but to be honest, I've been doing receiving and shipping for the past 2 months and haven't put much time in the screen printing department.  So now I have to put a call in to service and see what I have to do to get our one year old Vastex back up to proper working order.  In the mean time, I can avoid that one side of the expo unit and hope no other bulbs go bad.

Anyone here have any bulbs go out on their LED unit?  No matter which brand?  I'm hoping replacing a strip won't be too difficult but I'll report back here after I speak with Vastex.  It might be next week before I get anything done, we have about 70 cases of stuff coming in today and I didn't get everything counted from yesterday either. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: LED Bulbs Already Failing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:26:06 PM »
just went and checked our startlight (and saati 300W), and both of them are fine.  The starlight is coming up on 2 years old in April.

-J

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Seems like that thing has been a constant headache for you since you've got it!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
put that thing on a crate and order a starlight.

Or the STE II  ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
You are a 7 figure a year screen print shop, a Starlight is an impulse buy. It's time.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »
Starlight bulbs are good for life.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 01:49:43 PM »
All are good on STE
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »
Not only for him:(

Offline jvieira

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 05:23:26 PM »

glad I didn't take the plunge late last year. would have regretted.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »

Have you had any bulbs go out?

Yeah, headaches mainly due to expectations coupled with the actual performance.  For now I still think a strong metal halide is the best but I also think there is quite a bit of difference between the different manufacturers.

Not being able to hit certain ranges of halftones that we were able to with a 15 year old exposure unit should put things into perspective for those wanting to know about where our unit is comparatively speaking.

I know I sound like a broken record but there is no denying or hiding the recurring disappointment and the feeling that I need to continue to bring it up :)  I guess Monday I'll make the call to see what we have to do to get it fixed.  We only shot about 20 screens today all one-up but had a slow day overall with a bunch of one and two color jobs.  Monday is a fairly easy day and we will finally get back to a full schedule about mid-late week after a month of slow days so we'll still be able to get along fine with half an expo unit for a bit longer.  I should have called today but I wasn't really in the mood to deal with it or someone on the other side.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »
Sounds like that whole unit is a fail. 

Starlight here.  No issues. 
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:34 PM »

Have you had any bulbs go out?

Yeah, headaches mainly due to expectations coupled with the actual performance.  For now I still think a strong metal halide is the best but I also think there is quite a bit of difference between the different manufacturers.

Not being able to hit certain ranges of halftones that we were able to with a 15 year old exposure unit should put things into perspective for those wanting to know about where our unit is comparatively speaking.

I know I sound like a broken record but there is no denying or hiding the recurring disappointment and the feeling that I need to continue to bring it up :)  I guess Monday I'll make the call to see what we have to do to get it fixed.  We only shot about 20 screens today all one-up but had a slow day overall with a bunch of one and two color jobs.  Monday is a fairly easy day and we will finally get back to a full schedule about mid-late week after a month of slow days so we'll still be able to get along fine with half an expo unit for a bit longer.  I should have called today but I wasn't really in the mood to deal with it or someone on the other side.
Same here. Halftones are not what they used to be, just glad I kept our old MSP 3140. Fine lines are as well troublesome. I have to check regarding failing bulbs. To me this is just a Baby Joe 2000 in a different chassis, the light bars are from LDTronix, the same people behind the BabyJoe 2000. A unit I never considered buying at all. Frankly speaking I`m well pissed off with VASTEX as this unit causes more headaches then it offers solutions. Oh and did I mention already that at the certain low temperature range you can`t expose screens at all anylonger. Not enough UV output due to the factr that the bulbs are not getting very warm at all.

Offline bulldog

• !!!
  • Brandon
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 12:13:07 PM »
I've had my starlight for 1.5 years and no problems.

Offline beanie357

• !!!
  • Patience begets quality
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 06:47:53 PM »
Starlight a year. No issues.
Half tones fine. Came off amergraph 150.
Use one pot emulsions, add diazio in for  wb and discharge though. Max we ever take for anything is 12 seconds.
Just liked starlight for the gazillion
Bulbs. I like bright and shiny things.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
I'm just glad I can take my nose getting rubbed in it by you Starlight owners :)

I've been training a new receiving employee all morning and I'll probably get a call into service within the next hour or two.  CAN'T WAIT!!!