Author Topic: 4800 on the fritz - Time for a new printer?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline 1964GN

4800 on the fritz - Time for a new printer?
« on: February 29, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
Our Epson 4800 has been slowly degrading and as of Friday of last week is as clogged as it's ever been. Super sonic and power cleanings are not producing results.

Assuming it's time to replace it, what would be your printer of choice these days, besides another 4800/4880. We understand that that's a viable option but we are looking to see if there is something on the market that you guys have had good success with. 17" roll film, all black, that is compatible with Accurip.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 4800 on the fritz - Time for a new printer?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:43 AM »
When I had exhausted all efforts on ours, I found a 3800 locally, it's been running great for the last 18 months. Sheet fed though, no rolls...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
we have one of those with only one channel still working properly. I assigned the black in to it and it's back in business. You should be able to find at least one that works fine and save some money.

Chris (ZooCity) bought the new Epson they advertise as screenprinter package and he is having issues with it. If getting another one I would stick with 4880. I think the 4800 is getting a little old and the material fatigue is starting to show.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:11:27 AM »
I don't even have one channel that's work at peak at the moment. Hence the urgency :)

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »
I got epson t3270 upgraded my cadlink with 2 blacks 700 ml each and 3 cleaning carts. So far i love mine.
Others good and bad.
I bought from filmsdirectonlone.com.
Shane

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 02:15:04 PM »
Just a quick clarification- we don't have the new Epson film package, that isn't shipping quite yet but soon.  We do have the identical setup in the package however, save our edition of Accurip is not the SE, which simply means it's for one of two Epson printers only.  Our standard edition of AR works with different models and brands and that's the sole difference between them. 

Our T3270 has a hardware issue that is causing it to print out different film lengths.  Epson tech confirmed it weeks ago and I also confirmed it with Charlie from AR.  We confirmed it further on Epson's new screen print film (which is quite nice by they way).  Epson is just plain jerking us around at this point but at the very least I will be able to get a buyback processed.  They keep, well just outright lying, about the hardware someone being different on the T3270 in the film package (it absolutely is not) and the SE rip being different (again, absolutely not as confirmed with AR).  I'm not sure why they don't want to warranty it or listen to their own tech, we've spent excessive time and money on this and it's been crystal clear that it's just a hardware problem for over a month.  Probably not too surprising for anyone who's worked with Epson before.....

I think the T3270 is a good, maybe great, printer but we just have a weird hardware issue on ours.  We could not repeat the issue with identical files, film, settings, connection on Charlie's end and others seem happy so I'd say go for the T3270.   It does have a strong warranty but if you get a lemon or an issues you'll need to fight for months to actually get it fixed I guess. 

The new package Epson made with Accurip is designed to use the Epson black inks which would be great because then you have a color 24" wide printer that can do poster stock, etc. and a film printer.  Additionally, if you have a support issue it's one less thing for them to try to wriggle out of responsibility on since the entire package is official Epson.   I have requests in for film samples printed with the UltraChrome XD to compare with dye ink. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:27 PM »
Used 4880, flush it with ethanol based cleaners and load up and older verison of Accurip and find which head(s) prints the best and load black refill carts in those slots.

Get a densitometer and linearize your dots.

make awesome films!!
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »
Just a quick follow up.

We found a local 4880 for $100 (plus our 4800), if you can believe that, and it's kicking butt so far. Some of you may remember an old thread where we were troubleshooting films coming out at different lengths on our 4800. So far the 4880 have been spot on!