Author Topic: Latex vs Solvent?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Latex vs Solvent?
« on: March 12, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
Quick question because google is failing me completely.  I need to get labels printed for something which will be submerged in water.  I was wondering if the HP latex prints will hold up as well as solvent printed vinyl.  I did a similar order last year with the solvent printed and had zero issues, but can get better pricing with the latex this time around.  Just looking for first hand experience since all I can find online about it seems to be sales BS.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Latex vs Solvent?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »
from our experience, latex sucks and way overrated. but talk to Dennis, he has one and seems to love it..wtf do I know.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
So I have had two experiences with the latex. One ducked crap, one was exactly like solvent printed vinyl. I dunno, semi like latex is all the rage with vendors, but I keep hearing that it sucks.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:57:37 AM »
Why change something if it works?
I have a latex printer and I love it. The biggest reason why I love it, I had issues with my solvent printer because I did not print every day because I'm a small shop.
No problems with that when you have a latex printer.

As far as the stickers that go under water, no clue.
But then again, back to my question, why change something that works.
If you still make money with the the original pricing, why change it and risk a re-print because a few extra $?

What I have learned, the latex prints should be more scratch resistant, but because they are water based, I doubt they will be water resistant.
If both of them are laminated, I do not see the reason why the latex would not work.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:53:05 PM by DKgrafix »

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 12:02:25 PM »
That might have been the difference in the latex you got before that lasted.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »
Why change something if it works?
I have a latex printed and I love it. The biggest reason why I love it, I had issues with my solvent printer because I did not print every day because I'm a small shop.
No problems with that when you have a latex printer.

As far as the stickers that go under water, no clue.
But then again, back to my question, why change something that works.
If you still make money with the the original pricing, why change it and risk a re-print because a few extra $?

What I have learned, the latex prints should be more scratch resistant, but because they are water based, I doubt they will be water resistant.
If both of them are laminated, I do not see the reason why the latex would not work.

All good points.  It isn't just better pricing, but turn time, local source, etc.  Going to chance it on this one as the client is "cool with that".