Author Topic: Tracking Labels split from infant and toddler performance apparel  (Read 16971 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Hate to throw fire on your water but don't forget the CPSIA regs.

Oh yes, already part of the mix...

Steve
We are printing the url on the inside of the bottom back hem.  What are you doing?

Almost time for a split to CPSIA section, but Sonny, the labels are supposed to reference a unique job. How are you doing that with only a URL?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Tracking Labels split from infant and toddler performance apparel
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:41:32 PM »

Steve
We are printing the url on the inside of the bottom back hem.  What are you doing?

Almost time for a split to CPSIA section, but Sonny, the labels are supposed to reference a unique job. How are you doing that with only a URL?

No idea.  Just printing what I'm told.  The person says that as soon as we print it we take all liability off the shirt manufacturer. :o
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:56:07 PM »

Steve

No idea.  Just printing what I'm told.  The person says that as soon as we print it we take all liability off the shirt manufacturer. :o

Someone better look into just what the tracking label requires and what it does or doesn't do about liability. There is a great difference of opinion about just how the information should be displayed or made available, but bottom lin is the eventual owner is supposed to be able to determine where and when it
was decorated, and batch numbers of the inks or other materials!
If you want to link yo your site, that's fine, but I think that you had better start looking into printing a unique number for each job with a record of the when and what of each of these jobs.
The way I understand it, worst case scenario, in the unlikelihood that the ink we used is discovered to not be what it says it is, we need to be able to handle the logistics of notification and recall.
i.e. be glad that you don't get ink from Volkswagen  ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 07:54:18 PM »

Steve

Someone better look into just what the tracking label requires and what it does or doesn't do about liability. There is a great difference of opinion about just how the information should be displayed or made available, but bottom lin is the eventual owner is supposed to be able to determine where and when it
was decorated, and batch numbers of the inks or other materials!
If you want to link yo your site, that's fine, but I think that you had better start looking into printing a unique number for each job with a record of the when and what of each of these jobs.
The way I understand it, worst case scenario, in the unlikelihood that the ink we used is discovered to not be what it says it is, we need to be able to handle the logistics of notification and recall.
i.e. be glad that you don't get ink from Volkswagen  ;D
It is a different url for each print.  I proudly drive a VW killing machine...TDI Passat.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:58:07 PM »
We print lots of youth garments and track all youth production regardless if it's 24 pcs or 10,000 pcs. We build the code into the design then have a database and hard copy that contains all info such as when it was printed, by who, what inks, which garments, who bought the garments, all client/shipping/work order info, etc in case of any recalls or cpsia issues. I don't want to play chance like many of the other printers in the same markets we are in. I don't see how a website can reference that particular shirt and distinguish it from other production runs. Each order we do has a specific number for only that run.
Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »
my info is few years old, but most likely still accurate.

section 103 CPSIA code requires a unique batch number that has to include/reference the date of manufacturing.
There also has to be a place where the consumer can get the information if the item has been recalled.
If the manufacturer contacts you and says one of their batches is bad, you have to be able to contact the buyer of the item(s) and let them know. So the recall goes two way, from the consumer and from the manufacturer.
Company creating the product for the market is responsible for legal compliance. Printers are NOT required to label the items, but have to provide the info to the maker. If you are a contract printer, it is your customer's responsibility, if you are putting the product on the market, burden is yours.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »
We print lots of youth garments and track all youth production regardless if it's 24 pcs or 10,000 pcs. We build the code into the design then have a database and hard copy that contains all info such as when it was printed, by who, what inks, which garments, who bought the garments, all client/shipping/work order info, etc in case of any recalls or cpsia issues. I don't want to play chance like many of the other printers in the same markets we are in. I don't see how a website can reference that particular shirt and distinguish it from other production runs. Each order we do has a specific number for only that run.

So how would one build a code into a simple one color logo without it being noticed? I can see hiding it in a colorful design, but for this particular logo there is no place to hide... Also, has anyone ever encountered any trouble over the CPSIA? We purposely stay clear of that market, but when they come to us, we take the job and charge accordingly. Our jobs will get a code number and our url. We keep a record of inks, print date on the invoice so it's easy to look up.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't