Author Topic: Haze removers  (Read 4120 times)

Offline abchung

• !!!
Re: Haze removers
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 11:56:35 PM »
Bro...get some Easiway 701 and use it as dehazer and degreaser when you clean and BOOM!!!!!!  Never worry about haze again!  And it wont hurt you.  Trust me!!!!!

I would take serious exception to that claim, which is patently false.

Easiway 701 is darn near 15% JP Jet Fuel, a type of kerosene SDS Sheet . It will also explain in the SDS sheet why your bottles keep melting.

A very strong petroleum distillate that is most certainly not healthy for you or the environment. Read your product SDS sheets in your shops, look up the CAS numbers online...you might be VERY shocked at the stuff your told is safe in this industry or that your using in your own shop. I have even found press washes that are 40% naptha!! and still claim to be environmentally healthy.

Its astonishing the range of product that make claims of safe or green just because they are 1% under the legal limits of what would otherwise be called hazardous. From time to time everyone requires an effective product that will have strong ingredients, but educate yourself please a "green" label does not make it safe, or environmentally responsible.

very interesting read. The EW701 is one of the best screen cleaning compounds I've ever seen but reading the SDS makes me pause.  While it is used in small quantities (7-13%) and it is combined with other ingredients which can impact the impact it has, there is plenty in the description that would make me stop using it. The part that really gets me thinking is the description where it states "This product is not to be used as a solvent or cleaning agent"

pierre

Sidenote..... I've been noticing that my s-mesh screens don't often show signs of hazing. It could be due some other process change I made... not sure.

I've used 701 quite a bit in the past.... not sure if I need it now ??

Did you change exposure unit?
I read somewhere, under exposed emulsion can cause haze during print runs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:17:52 AM »
Bro...get some Easiway 701 and use it as dehazer and degreaser when you clean and BOOM!!!!!!  Never worry about haze again!  And it wont hurt you.  Trust me!!!!!

I would take serious exception to that claim, which is patently false.

Easiway 701 is darn near 15% JP Jet Fuel, a type of kerosene SDS Sheet . It will also explain in the SDS sheet why your bottles keep melting.

A very strong petroleum distillate that is most certainly not healthy for you or the environment. Read your product SDS sheets in your shops, look up the CAS numbers online...you might be VERY shocked at the stuff your told is safe in this industry or that your using in your own shop. I have even found press washes that are 40% naptha!! and still claim to be environmentally healthy.

Its astonishing the range of product that make claims of safe or green just because they are 1% under the legal limits of what would otherwise be called hazardous. From time to time everyone requires an effective product that will have strong ingredients, but educate yourself please a "green" label does not make it safe, or environmentally responsible.

very interesting read. The EW701 is one of the best screen cleaning compounds I've ever seen but reading the SDS makes me pause.  While it is used in small quantities (7-13%) and it is combined with other ingredients which can impact the impact it has, there is plenty in the description that would make me stop using it. The part that really gets me thinking is the description where it states "This product is not to be used as a solvent or cleaning agent"

pierre

I agree, that last line is troubling. I think this kind of thing gets overlooked far too often. I suspect that too many of us have a foolhardy "man up" mentality where we do what it takes to get the job done today, disregarding what it may cost us physically in the long run. Or worse, & call me cynical, but when it's some minimum wage kid breathing the fumes, his/her long-term health isn't always a priority as long as money is being made.

I recall discussing "safe" chemicals with a rep some time ago. She stepped carefully as she spoke, but as much as said that many of the "safe" and "green" options are not all nearly as safe nor as green as the marketing says. (And yes, that included some products from FranMar, for those who wonder.) She still implied that some chemical options were better than others, but by degrees - there's no clear line dividing "safe" from "dangerous."

But what are we to do? There are so many chems out there, scattered among a lot of different suppliers. It ain't easy to discover which chemicals really do the job and aren't going to do you (or the environment, aquifer, etc.) permanent harm! I have yet to zero in on the best choices. Yes, we can & should read the SDS'. But we rely on suppliers & manufacturers being relatively truthful. At the very least, make proper handling instructions out front, rather than buried down deep in the "we know you aren't going to do this, but legally we're covered now" verbiage. Wish this part of running the shop wasn't so murky!
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 03:59:38 AM »
I agree, that last line is troubling. I think this kind of thing gets overlooked far too often. I suspect that too many of us have a foolhardy "man up" mentality where we do what it takes to get the job done today, disregarding what it may cost us physically in the long run. Or worse, & call me cynical, but when it's some minimum wage kid breathing the fumes, his/her long-term health isn't always a priority as long as money is being made.

I recall discussing "safe" chemicals with a rep some time ago. She stepped carefully as she spoke, but as much as said that many of the "safe" and "green" options are not all nearly as safe nor as green as the marketing says. (And yes, that included some products from FranMar, for those who wonder.) She still implied that some chemical options were better than others, but by degrees - there's no clear line dividing "safe" from "dangerous."

But what are we to do? There are so many chems out there, scattered among a lot of different suppliers. It ain't easy to discover which chemicals really do the job and aren't going to do you (or the environment, aquifer, etc.) permanent harm! I have yet to zero in on the best choices. Yes, we can & should read the SDS'. But we rely on suppliers & manufacturers being relatively truthful. At the very least, make proper handling instructions out front, rather than buried down deep in the "we know you aren't going to do this, but legally we're covered now" verbiage. Wish this part of running the shop wasn't so murky!

Individually every ingredient may pose a hazard that makes it appear as though its going to kill you in minutes, often these strong or active ingredients are small in percentage but carry a very high risk even in those percentages. In this case I am not merely trying to single out the Easiway 701 but point out that when someone says "trust me its safe" you have more than cause to stop, obtain an SDS sheet and look it up...its not only common sense, its legally as a business owner your obligation.

If an employee is harmed in any manner by chemicals in your shop and it goes to court or even a file is claimed for workers comp do you think that you will have a snowballs chance in hell by telling them "my vendor/supplier said it was safe"...a lawyer would probably slap you with a gross negligence charge on top of it. But yes, lets be real. These are chemicals and carry inherent risks not only to you but the environment as well. Some of these chemicals are not very dangerous with proper ventilation or safety clothing but you might be using the wrong ones...I have found that many of these chemicals can actually be absorbed THROUGH latex gloves into your bloodstream so you might be wearing gloves thinking your safe when really you are not.

I have been reviewing hundreds of these products, I have shared this information because and I am sure it will not be the last time. This so called "safe & green" stuff is simply advertising BS for a lot of these products. There can never be a 100% safe product, but I am 100% sure that dumping petrol based chemicals down the drain is neither green or responsible this day in age.

Prince Art is 100% spot on that every one of these products should have the dirty up front, honest and there for you to know about. After all, its your shops legal responsibility and really who wants to know that the high school kid you hired for a summer reclaim job has 50 less IQ points or fails to get an athletic scholarship from nerve damage because of products used in your shop. It has given me the idea of making a website where its all exposed and put into plain language for shop owners. It would be a huge job but maybe its time, you can bet the so called printing organizations will not do it...the hand that feeds you problem.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
Some good info here.  For us old school guys the stuff now is sure a heck of a lot better than lacquer thinner, MEK, or vinyl wash.  Now that vinyl wash was some nasty stuff having come back to reality one night from the chirping birdies and looking at the ceiling from the floor on a long night run!  Ink was totally dry in the screen, close call and always worked with the door open after that out of body experience.

Underexposure can cause emulsion haze, especially with Pure Photopolymers.  Caustic haze remover is about the only thing that will get it out.  We printed a ton of discharge and always had haze issues when we let them dry.  The solution was just procedural.  Hot water in 5 gallon buckets and tile cleaner.  (there are better water based screen openers as well).  Spray the image with tile cleaner, wash top and bottom with brushes and hot water as soon as job is done.  Eliminated many of the ink hazed screens from discharge or water base inks.  Letting em dry just cost us in more chems and labor and lost mesh.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com