Author Topic: what resolution with epson 4800 on AccuRip  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
what resolution with epson 4800 on AccuRip
« on: April 04, 2016, 11:50:45 AM »
i have FIVE resolution choices:
360x360, 720x720, 1440x720 4passes, 1440x720 8 passes, 2880x1440

What do you use, how can you tell - what are you looking at to compare outputs?

new-to-me 4800 (coming from 1400) on Accurip.
dye ink from InkJetCarts in one channel.
finishing up the pack of fixxons 13x19 sheets i had for the 1400.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

Re: what resolution with epson 4800 on AccuRip
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 01:17:09 PM »
We use the same ink on chroma line film and have had good results with the attached settings.  You should linearize for good halftone output.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
we are running 720x720. it is fine for garment printing, but the higher resolutions sure do look like imagesetter!

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:55:14 AM »
You should linearize for good halftone output.

i spent an afternoon getting that set up well on the 1400 and it was worth it. the same curves seem pretty close for now.

we are running 720x720. it is fine for garment printing, but the higher resolutions sure do look like imagesetter!

so 1 vote for the highest setting and one for the next to lowest.
should I be needing a totally different droplet weight for each resolution?
I'm printing only one channel (was doing all six channels on the 1400 - which is actually 3 channels each print and it swaps back and forth between the two) and find i need to set my droplet weight pretty much as high as it goes to get what looks opaque to my eye. but that makes a bit of a mess as well, blowing ink splatters around the image (tiny tiny dots that won't hold in the exposure, but it's ugly on the film)

Differences from what I know:
dye based ink (InkJetCarts) - may try Accuink next.
only one channel printing.

Staying the same:
printing 90% time from Corel X4
epson bullshit
fixxons 13x19 sheets (till i run out anyway)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »
A change in resolution required different settings for us.  A densitometer would really help you get the proper d-max and linearization.  We sent ours to someone to get readings, though if you change ink and/or film you will need to start over.  So if you are planning to change you may want to wait until you do.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:31:34 PM »
at 720x720 we need to push droplet weight all the way to 15 (highest option) to have it appear by eye to block light (holding film up to flo tube light). even at 14 droplet weight it's not opaque - and I usually like to run a weight or two PAST what looks good to my eyeball to be more sure of getting a better UV block when exposing.

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »
so either -
checking by eye isn't a good proof of how opaque/d-max the print on the film is
or
simply can't get enough of [this] ink down on [this] film using the AccuRip settings using this resolution setting and a single channel...
or
I'm not thinking of a variable I should be able to control

Offline IntegrityShirts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 09:34:03 PM »
Did you do a print head Clean & test? You may have a partially clogged channel. All your carts filled with black or just one? On my 4000, some heads print better than others and I know some are partially clogged.

On the 9600 ink can pool sometimes in some large areas of art and I have to back off the droplet weight. The longer it prints the more ink it lays down. Printers are quirky

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »
When I picked this printer up, it had been sitting for over a year.

It took a couple days of shaking the ink, manually adding diluted simple green to the capping station (as per this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNlYR1SKONI), running nozzle checks and cleans from both the utility and the control screen of the press itself, one "super sonic cleaning," one waste tank reset ...
but I got it to print all 8 channels properly. 6 still have the ink that it came with, one channel has a dye black ink and the ink tank that ran low has been filled with cleaning solution.

at this point I'm slowly upping the resolution setting to see if I can get it dark enough still using 1 channel and this ink. But I doubt it will work.

next step to try and get the ink coverage dark enough will be to try Chromaline AccuInk through 1 channel OR to set up a second channel to run this same ink I already have on hand.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 07:48:45 PM »
We run 2880x1440, very nice res but you give up some ink deposit control.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 11:18:52 AM »
bumped the resolution up to 1440x720 (4 passes) and at 15 droplet weight I finally found a setting that will put down too much ink (which is what I want).

are the settings with (4 passes) and (8 passes) going to be pretty much the same as running a second channel of ink, in that I'll be sacrificing SOME edge definition?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
Interested to know some more on this subject as well.  Somewhat on the same topic, is there a way to use accurip to control the output using a single nozzle, but not have it halftone the output?  I ask because I am getting "rough" edges on vector art and I am assuming (based on how it looks) that it is halftoning the edges of the art like it would on a lower resolution raster image where there are some gray pixels to visually make the lines smooth.  Any ideas?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 03:14:43 PM »
Solid, 100% fill, vector shapes will not halftone at all.  If you are seeing jagged edges you need to up the res.  We output everything at max res which is not the norm but if you want that crispness it makes it happen.

If you have raster files with shapes that aren't quite 100% K on the edges, try using higher res settings and also upping the lpi until it clears up. 

As I mentioned earlier, you hit a ceiling with AR when outputting at 2880x1440 and give up a lot of droplet control and also cannot effectively linearize.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Solid, 100% fill, vector shapes will not halftone at all.  If you are seeing jagged edges you need to up the res.  We output everything at max res which is not the norm but if you want that crispness it makes it happen.

If you have raster files with shapes that aren't quite 100% K on the edges, try using higher res settings and also upping the lpi until it clears up. 

As I mentioned earlier, you hit a ceiling with AR when outputting at 2880x1440 and give up a lot of droplet control and also cannot effectively linearize.

Maybe I'm not seeing halftoning, but man does it seem like it.  I'm using 720x720 with 13 droplet and its nice and dark, but was showing the tiny jaggies, even on straight from illy vector shapes.  I'll mess with the resolution.  What does it mean with the whole 4 pass/8 pass deal on the middle resolutions?  I noticed when you max the res it will stop letting you set the droplet weight for whatever reason.