Author Topic: Mark Courdray Halftone Mastery  (Read 4535 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
Mark Courdray Halftone Mastery
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
We are thinking about purchasing Mark Courdray's class for some of the designers at the office.

It doesn't seem to be active since 2014 has anyone taken this recently? Any reviews from members here?

Thanks.

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
Re: Mark Courdray Halftone Mastery
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
I took the course in 2013, just to be sure I got good theory background, check if what I knew about screenpriting was on good.

It is around 35 videos that you will have in a 12 weeks period.

Week 01 - Movie #1 Quick Start to Better Halftone
Week 02 – Movie #1 Bringing cintril to the process.1
Week 03 – Force Dynamics Part 1
Week 04 – Creating the Optimal Screen Part1
Week 05 - Understanding the role of the screen Part1
Week 06 – Describing Color in Digital Terms Part2
Week 07 – All About Halftones Part1
Week 08 - 01 - HM_Module4a
Week 09 - 01 - HM_Module4dIndexHalftones
Week 10 - 01 - HM_Module9aSOSP_Plastisols1
Week 11 - 01 - HM_Module11aMoireIntro
Week 12 - 01 - HM_Module12aOpticalDotGain

I wanted to know more about screenprinting theory, and liked the way Mark Coudray explain it + you can ask any questions, that the master will personally answer.

I don't think it is mandatory, but for me my goal was achieved with this course.

www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:09:03 PM »
Does the course show us how to generate a simulated/process seps using software like photoshop or is it all theory?

Thanks.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:05 PM »
I took this course, and it is more of the theory of screen printing as I recall.  I thought it was a waste of money, I was hoping it go in depth of creating separations, but it was like the science behind everything and way over what I ever want to know, I just want to make good shirts.  So not for me, but may be for someone else.

I reviewed it to see if it would be worth the rest of the peoples time to watch, but decided against it.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
I took the course back in 2013.

I did learn how to separate screens, calibrate photoshop and calibrate monitor for my shop.
I wish he could have shown us how to make underbase for different coloured shirts. He only showed underbase for black shirts.

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »
Currently we use Separation Studio to rip a piece of artwork into component color and edit this file to our needs.

Ultimately we are looking to be able to generate press quality seps for either 4 color process or simulated process through photoshop only and get a better performing file.

Do you think this will get us what we are after?

Good stuff so far, thanks everyone.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 04:38:03 PM »
you can always check out his separation service.

http://jobs.netseps.com/

I don't know of anyone that is currently offering a true tutorial system though.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 04:39:49 PM »
mitch different has a book out that teaches it. you'll have to google it. He might have even had a banner here at some point. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 06:14:50 PM »
that would be   mwdifferent@gmail.com. Out of curiosity, what was the course cost?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:17 AM »
We picked up Mitch's book a couple of months ago and it's been a good resource.

The website for Mark's class lists the price @ 249 but it doesn't look like anything has changed in a couple of years. I inquired about the availlablitiy yesterday and still haven't heard back. We will see.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 08:55:11 PM »
The course was around $400 if I remember correctly.  We definitely learned some stuff. 
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline willy35

• www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 03:07:09 AM »
This course was not that "expansive" for me

This Course Sells for $247 + 3 NetSeps Color Separations

This is the price I had to pay, but if you removed 3 color seps for me that was a good good price.
www.broceliande-serigraphie.com
San Gen Shugi - real place (Gen-ba), real part (Gen-butsu), reality (Gen-jitsu)

Offline AAMike

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 09:07:55 AM »
I just purchased Mitch's book as well and have learned a lot.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 12:12:24 PM »
I knew a pretty good chunk of the info he supplies, but I always like to get another's take on the process. It's a good book, though I found the repro pretty bad for some of the pics... at least for these older eyes...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »
I don't see the logic in not knowing the science behind the print.  Great Art needs great sep techniques, Great sep technique needs great printing techniques, Great printing techniques need to know the science of dot and how to print lots of dots, avoiding dot gain to keep it crisp, to image on screen.  Each and every sim process art piece is unique.  What worked on one may not be what the next job needs.  Analyzing the orginal art to determine the color pallet, then how to pull the colors out, combine them with others, knock them out of conflicting colors, and to build the puzzle in Photoshop takes lots and lots of practice.  If we were to put out a great piece of art to the members of the board we would get back many different color pallets, different seps, halftone and angle call outs, different mesh counts and different prints.  Sim Process is subjective and shop specific in terms of the recipe.  I have found separators who can run circles around me, but the final area of print is controlling the dot gain, the curves, the science of print.  Mark's knowledge helped us so much in 4/C process work.  He is a true guru of the dot.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com