Author Topic: This doohickey broke I think.  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: This doohickey broke I think.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 11:02:01 AM »
M&r emailed me and said to put oil in the airline of the index cylinder. I'm gonna try that after I get my root canal this morning.  :(

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2016, 04:29:36 PM »
Ok I have a massive air leak coming from the coil. I attached pics showing where. M&R tech says the whole air cylinder needs replacing. Other independent tech says its the valve assembly and M&R support told me to take apart the valve assembly and rebuild it. Any other opinions here?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 04:34:26 PM »
Don't know about Norgren but on SMC valves there's a little gasket that goes inbetween the two pieces you're pointing at.
A small phillips should give you an idea of what's going on.

If the cylinder is bad I would think you'd hear air escaping from either the cylinder itself or the relief ports
on the valve.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2016, 04:42:22 PM »
No gasket there, there is a gasket where the electrical connections go below but no air from there.

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »
There should be a either a gasket or o-rings or a bunch of o-rings held together between the valve and valve block. There may be a spicket or recess where an o-ring/s should be. It is possible the o-ring blew out and no longer there.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2016, 06:58:23 PM »
I will have to double check in the morning, busy manually printing as we are getting behind now.

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2016, 09:03:36 PM »
Is there a sticker on the other side of the valve body with a Norgren part number ?

If so, see if you can order the valve from M&R alone. If not try Norgren.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »
I'll check on that in the morning, thank you.

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2016, 06:56:27 AM »
You might want to check Grainger or McMaster Carr for parts.  Most of the M&R parts can be found there if your in a bind

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2016, 08:24:24 AM »
that same part went bad on ours.  See if when it's trying to index if that thing gets hot.  Was the machine slowing down over the last week?

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »
^^FWIW, oil in the right place could definitely fix that, but not if you can't get the thing moving.

I had good luck starting with something like Tri-flow to get the valve moving, and then 10W ND.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »
Ok so I have been super busy and still don't have my press running and since you only get one email a day from m&r for support which gives very short answers and no detail, they didn't think I needed to replace the whole cylinder only after the m&r tech said I did, did they say I should, and the guy I talked to from m&r customer service seemed to think I didn't have to replace the whole cylinder? I got way too many conflicting ideas of what's wrong and i can't afford to just replace a $1200 part because they think that's what it is.

So before I spend $1200 I would like to know in the pic I attached I drawn an arrow pointing to the piece that does not return home after indexing, the index cylinder that pushes it to the right returns home just fine (besides the massive air leak). So what does the piece that the arrow is pointing to not returning back to home with the index cylinder have to do with a problem with the index cylinder itself?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense I'm not very versed in the proper language to use to explain it.

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 08:25:57 AM »
Ok so I have been super busy and still don't have my press running and since you only get one email a day from m&r for support which gives very short answers and no detail, they didn't think I needed to replace the whole cylinder only after the m&r tech said I did, did they say I should, and the guy I talked to from m&r customer service seemed to think I didn't have to replace the whole cylinder? I got way too many conflicting ideas of what's wrong and i can't afford to just replace a $1200 part because they think that's what it is.

So before I spend $1200 I would like to know in the pic I attached I drawn an arrow pointing to the piece that does not return home after indexing, the index cylinder that pushes it to the right returns home just fine (besides the massive air leak). So what does the piece that the arrow is pointing to not returning back to home with the index cylinder have to do with a problem with the index cylinder itself?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense I'm not very versed in the proper language to use to explain it.
I assure we do more than one e-mail per day to a customer. We also give phone support way above what is required. There comes a time when you need a tech if you can't explain what is wrong with your press. If your cylinder is blowing out air you either need to replace it or rebuild it if you are capable and it's not past the point of repairing. The item you are pointing to on the right is the index stop shock and if the plunger is not coming back out it will need replaced. If you replace the shock and do not know how th adjust it you can damage it beyond repair. I suggest a tech.
Rich Hoffman

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 09:43:30 AM »
I can assure you that I have only had one email response per day from m&r service. One each morning after responding to the email in the morning. Maybe other customers get multiple email responses but not in my case.

Offline CGS

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
Think you need to get a tech in there to see it first hand so you know exactly what the issue is.  If as you said earlier replacing a mac valve in the past was a epic fail, anything with the drive cylinder is going to be way over your head. Even if you ordered the new cylinder,  installing it so it indexes properly at the correct distance in both directions will make you pull your hair out if you have never done it.