Author Topic: White inks  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
White inks
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
Take your pick;

Another day, another white

So many whites, so little time.

Reading through the latest thread on white inks, I'm reminded of how the development of white inks seems to rival tech as changing constantly and rapidly.
I can pretty much say without little  doubt, that every single white out there right now, is better than the first whites I tried back in 1988.

Not lookin' to get another "which is best" thread going, but rather noting more of a general trend. The first thing that I can say is that none are as "chalky" as the first I used from Union.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: White inks
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »
Must didn't bother Union at all, they still made that chalky azz white when I got into screen printing in the early 2000...Diamond white was and may still be be chalky and stinky.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 03:40:05 PM »
PLHT-1055 Union something or other, I'll never forget those numbers.. First white ink I ever used at the shop I worked at. absolute worst crap I have ever had the pain of spreading...........still don't like Union Ink. ;D
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:50:40 PM »
Honestly, every rutland product that I tried that the sales people said was the 'best' was absolute crap... either I'd get a bucket and it would be fine, and the next would be terrible, or it just wouldn't print to begin with.  The answer was always 'modify it to your liking'.

for our 'standard' plastisol whites, we've been happy with Wilfex Quick White as well as One Stroke Hybrid White (happier with Hybrid white)..

for our 'poly' plastisol whites: wilflex performance white and one stroke bravo are our go-to whites.

all 4 of these have been super consistent for us.  Never have had a 'bad' bucket or bad batch, and they've all printed with consistent results.

Nothing has climbed for us like Legacy white, followed by Rutland Snap white.. neither of those will run on our presses without climbing the squeegee so bad that you have to literally push it down every 10 prints.

I don't understand how ink companies don't have tests to verify quality of batches of ink before shipping.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
As I said, in the "general" sense, I was once told by a sales rep a few years back that they didn't like sending samples in pints or even quarts because they found the smaller the container, the more susceptible it was to be affected by temps in transit. That son of a gun sent me a gallon each of SF cotton and low bleed to try! (and for the record, perhaps not the best, but quite serviceable for my meager manual needs and I ordered a few since then).

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 12:24:34 AM »
Received a call from One Stroke today and said I should try their Comfort Fast Flash white. Anyone use it? For $100 a gallon it better be great.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 06:17:14 AM »
Rutland Discharge White Plus ;)

Offline mt_signex

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:17:34 AM »
Received a call from One Stroke today and said I should try their Comfort Fast Flash white. Anyone use it? For $100 a gallon it better be great.

I use their LB Premium Fast Flash White but I don't pay anywhere near that per gallon..

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 08:58:14 AM »

That's before shipping, right? They used to have a California distributor (Oakland) 20 years ago, but then bailed, and in my mind, turned their back a bit on the left coast. They had some great inks but shipping costs on top of shipping times reduced their attraction for me.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
Rutland Discharge White Plus ;)

LOL, not shocked.

I've been doing some testing tho, comparing White Plus to Matsui Super 75 and Bright White, and the White Plus is winning, especially after first wash.

It is a bit 'chalkier' feeling as it comes off the dryer belt, but after first wash, it's optically brighter.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 09:23:02 AM »
One hit 160 mesh. Just add water

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 07:07:28 PM »
I don't see the Sericol inks getting many mentions on TSB. Any particular reason why?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
I don't see the Sericol inks getting many mentions on TSB. Any particular reason why?

Just order some Red YS today, Sericol reds are the best of the best if you ask me. We used to have nothing but Sericol wb inks but the CCI mixing system won us over on everything except red, nothing compares to Sericol...great ink!
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016, 07:14:54 PM »

Not sure why but the RFU colors from sericol are absolutely some of the best discharge inks out there..... We love sericol, just had trouble buying it.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse