Author Topic: Flames and smoke!!!  (Read 2134 times)

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Flames and smoke!!!
« on: April 29, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »
Yep, there were flames and black billowing smoke. Fortunately it was a controlled fire set by the local fire department to train some of our staff on proper use of fire extinguishers. All of our employees had a quick class on proper use of fire extinguishers, then the chosen few went outside to extinguish a gasoline/diesel fuel fire that was set. Good training for all. Food for thought?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Flames and smoke!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
I think any decent size operation should not only have fire and some limited hazmat training, but also cpr and first aid training for at least the supervisors, if not key employees.

side note.. I wonder if training such as that would help in any way with insurance?

Offline Printficient

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
Hot Dogs.  Hamburgers.  Ribs.  Steak.  Chicken.  Corn on the Cob.  Smores.
Shop-Doc "I make house calls"
Procedure Video Training
Press Inspections
Tips and Tricks Training
404-895-1796 Sonny McDonald

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
There will be flames and smoke this evening.. until 2am ish or so then a nice 12hr cook for tomorrow's pulled pork party.

You would think people would know how to use an extinguisher..

Good idea on the training, that's  8)
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:59:31 PM »
The thing is, out of the six people involved in the hands on training, only one (me) had ever actually used a fire extinguisher. We are all told how to do it, but when the rubber hits the road, will you? I mentioned an incident we had here a few months ago. Even though there were 6-8 people around, most of them stood there pointing at the fire, while only one or two actually took action.

I guess my point with this post was to remind people to have safety equipment, let people know where it is, and how to use it.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
A smidge off topic, but there are so many instances in which you think you'd respond a certain way and in the end, it doesn't quite pan out.

I walked into a Quik Trip in Wichita Tuesday morning just this week and staggering out of the bathroom comes a 67 year old man COVERED in blood. He was closely followed by the store manager (pale faced from the shock of it) who was begging the man to sit down and wait for the ambulance. He'd been robbed... bonked HARD on his noodle by a thug with a chunk of cement while he was standing in front of the urinal.

Broad daylight no less, store full of morning coffee and donut buyers. SHOCKED...one and all.

NOone, not even the manager would touch him to help him sit down or even wipe the blood from his eyes or mouth. (Myself included.)

I never dreamed I'd behave like that in such a unexpected, stressful situation. Most everyone just froze.

So, back to fires.... I'd say, in our business....hands-on time with a fire extinguisher on ACTUAL fires is a VERY good idea. Just like experienced police officers urge wise Concealed Carry patrons to get lots of range time on body shaped targets, pop-ups if possible. It isn't good enough to "think it through" one time, and just shove your .38 in a desk drawer.

I know, fires are a little different than self defense situations, or helping a man who might collapse and die without assistance, but the analogy works in my head.

P.S. The victim was admitted in serious condition but will survive.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 12:37:31 PM »

NOone, not even the manager would touch him to help him sit down or even wipe the blood from his eyes or mouth. (Myself included.)

This is a known phenomenon.. an accident happens with lots of people around, doing nothing. Everyone thinks someone else will do something

You have to take action, point at people and instruct them what to do.

don't just yell call 911.. point at a person, You!.. call 911

you.. hold their head

you.. hold their feet

you.. make some space, keep people away

As far as seeing a person covered in blood..  #1 rule is protect yourself before you protect others. Never endanger your own health to bloodborne pathogens without a shield, gloves or something.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
It is always easy to be a Monday morning QB but in the event tis should ever present itself again a couple of plastic bags over each hand can briefly substitute for protective gloves.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.