Author Topic: Being cheap might not be the smartest thing  (Read 4087 times)

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
Being cheap might not be the smartest thing
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
Had a few holes on the exposure unit blanket and figured I would try one out from ebay...

It came today and I'm about to install it and I noticed that it has the fabric on both sides of the blanket and the one that is on there only has it on 1 side with the other side being more of a rubber. 

I've only bought from workhorse in the past...so I'm not very familiar with other options.

Sure hope I didn't just waste 70 bucks.

Jon

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
Re: Being cheap might not be the smartest thing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
Check these folks out.....  "www.foamorder.com"  they are located in San Francisco, but they have brick and mortar stores in several places in the Bay Area.

I'd recommend a sheet of the 3mil neopreme with nylon backing on one side.  It's what I have on my exposure unit and it works well.
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
That doesn't mean that facing on both sides won't work. Anyone else have one like that?

My other source for various materials like this also currently has the neoprene foam with facing on both sides.
Their stock changes regularly.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »
Check these folks out.....  "www.foamorder.com"  they are located in San Francisco, but they have brick and mortar stores in several places in the Bay Area.

I'd recommend a sheet of the 3mil neopreme with nylon backing on one side.  It's what I have on my exposure unit and it works well.

Thanks for that website....I think I have seen that site before.  I was always pretty confused on what backing option to choose.  I'll file that away in my memory bank for next time.

Jon

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:03:04 PM »
That doesn't mean that facing on both sides won't work. Anyone else have one like that?

My other source for various materials like this also currently has the neoprene foam with facing on both sides.

We'll installed everything and it worked out pretty good.  Good suction, but NOT as good as I had before with my other blanket.

It sucked everything down tight, but when forming around the tri-loc it doesn't want to get in every nook and cranny.  But this MAY be all me when reinstalling the top.  Still interested on if anyone else uses a blanket that has fabric on both sides and if it works for them.  My true test will be in the AM, when we go and make some more screens.

Jon

Offline spotcolorsupply

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »

I doubt it will vacuum correctly. The rubber surface would help hold the seal to the glass in the exposure unit. The fabric surface would allow air to pass by, just like the rope in most exposure units. Will definitely be interested to see what happens??  ;D
Brannon Mullins Spot Color Supply
www.spotcolorsupply.com     sales@spotcolorsupply.com.
We Sell Workhorse Products,Along With Used Equipment, and Printing Supplies!!

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:35:35 PM »

Sucks down alright.

But before it did a better job on the corners especially

I'll see if I lose any detail in my screens and I might just have to accidently poke a hole in it.

Jon

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »
YUP, it sure looks like it SUCKS!!!  ;D

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline wiseacre

• Verified/Junior
  • Smart Alec Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:20 PM »
It sucked everything down tight, but when foaming around the tri-loc it doesn't want to get in every nook and cranny.

I hate when that happens :o
Home made 2-color, 1 station, Kenmore Oven, Attic Printer.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 12:05:45 PM »
As long as there is no space between the film and the emulsion, you should be alright. Myself, we use pond liners from Home Depot. $40.00 worth was enough to 2 blankets, and our exposure unit is like 55 x 40.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
As long as there is no space between the film and the emulsion, you should be alright. Myself, we use pond liners from Home Depot. $40.00 worth was enough to 2 blankets, and our exposure unit is like 55 x 40.

Steve

Same here.

But still need to fix leak. So I still foam.