Author Topic: Transparency  (Read 3792 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Transparency
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:17:42 AM »
Index seps w/transparent overlays and transparent inks

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
Re: Transparency
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:26:50 AM »
It bothers me a lot that the diagonal blue doesnt go all the way to the edge of the border on the bottom while it does go to the edge at the top and on the side.  :D

nice print though!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Sorry about that Mimo ;)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
We just discovered we could do prints like this...pretty excited!
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:37 AM »
Tony,

What resolution for the seps and do you end up loosing dots either on screen or during the print run at all?

Love playing with transparent inks :)
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »
I notice a little "moire" for lack of a better term; I got that sometimes too with index, always wonder why... looks great though...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:16 PM »
A dot is a dot is a square dot is a dot.

If the thread is thick enough to eclipse the dot, you will get "pattern" interference.

All this talk of 85+ lpi on thin thread mesh - you still get "pattern" interference because the thread is still bigger than some of the dots.

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »

If the thread is thick enough to eclipse the dot, you will get "pattern" interference.

All this talk of 85+ lpi on thin thread mesh - you still get "pattern" interference because the thread is still bigger than some of the dots.

I used to do a lot of indexing, always at 180 ppi, and with indexing, all the dots are the same size, there is no LPI. On a 280 mesh, threads eclipsing dots is not a problem. I think it happens with the shirts, as we don't see it in the screens. An oddity, for sure, and usually not enough time to spend digging to figure it out...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 07:47:51 PM »

I used to do a lot of indexing, always at 180 ppi, and with indexing, all the dots are the same size, there is no LPI. On a 280 mesh, threads eclipsing dots is not a problem. I think it happens with the shirts, as we don't see it in the screens. An oddity, for sure, and usually not enough time to spend digging to figure it out...

Steve

We do our Index seps at 200 and that seems to eliminate a lot of that. Some of that moire looks looks pressure related along with not that great of a pic of the waves. Index loves to pick up the flaws of not so usable art. It is still a cool effect. We have used that same effect to make some 3d shirts that make the graphics come off the shirt when wearing 3d glasses.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin