Author Topic: Why do press manufacturers...  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Why do press manufacturers...
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:50:29 AM »
Spec a 16x18 image area but you have to use a 23x33 size frame to get it which to my knowledge would be a custom made size screen?

Offline Ross_S

Re: Why do press manufacturers...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 07:47:12 AM »
I don't think that is a custom build anymore.  I see these size frames everywhere (mostly larger contract shops).  I do want to say you can get them at Stretch Devices (Newman)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:02:22 AM »
25*33s are a option as well, that is what our rollers are.

I don't really understand the original question though, you are not able to print 16*18 on a 23*31?
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
25*33s are a option as well, that is what our rollers are.

I don't really understand the original question though, you are not able to print 16*18 on a 23*31?
You can do 16x18 but it`s tight on an M&R Diamondback with 23x31 frames. You are better of with a bigger frame size.

Offline sqslabs

• Work hardened.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:41:24 AM »
We pull off 18"-20" length prints on a 23x31 screen without issue, although I guess that can vary from press to press.  Gets a bit tight at the back of the screen, and we're more than likely a bit out of the "sweet spot" when going that large but it gets the job done when needed and keeps us at a standard frame size.  I'm actually about to sell our 25x36's due to the fact that we've never needed them. 
Brett
Squeegee Science
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
When our Gauntlet was installed the tech measured and said the max I could get was 16" and this is on a 16x18 press with 23x31 frames. When I look up the specs the max screen size is 23x33 so I figured that's how you could get the extra 2 inches out of it. I just never seen a 23x33 static frame available as a stock option and wondered how they would figure that.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 11:36:57 AM »
We got 2 23x33 S-mesh statics which we got made by Murakami. Believe me when I say they were not cheap. The only reason why we bought them was because we had to go bigger then 18 inch in image hight.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:34:49 AM »
we have a bunch of 23x33 newmans. it seems to be regularly available.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
Well I guess they expect everyone to use Newmans.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
I've pulled off 20" stroke for years on 23x31. It takes some adjusting but can be done. that big ole' space between the squeegee and flood.. close that up as tight as you can, that right there is 2".

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »
23x33 is expensive, most frame makers, including Newman consider them "custom".   I'm not sure why.   We have the same format problem here where we have to keep a cache of "long" frames for when art is set towards max image.  Had I not found used rollers from other shops to buy or trade for it would have cost an arm and a leg, rollers or statics. 

As for why they spec the press for 33" long frames well that's just the math involved with a carousel press if you want to fit a machine into a certain footprint and get the most out of the image area.   Unlike, say, manufacturers of mountain bikes I don't think anyone is trying to make up exotic parts and sizes unless there is a true need. 

I've found "maxing" out image sizes to bear little fruit, you end up losing setup time and not getting the optimal print in the end.  I keep us about 0.5-1" under the spec for the machine's image size. 

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 03:13:50 PM »
i remember a while back tony pepitone had a good answer in this thread

http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,11868.msg112381.html#msg112381

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Standard size presses all pretty much spec a non standard 23x33. You look at the mini presses and they spec a standard 20x24 and 20x28 (which is not standard but can be found pretty easily) then the larger format presses spec a standard 25x36, just strange that the standard size presses spec an oddball frame size.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 09:27:30 PM »
23x31's are fine for 16x18 or even 16x19 IF your image placement is spot on, you are fond of steep squeegee angles, you like to *just* barely clamp the back of the frame and you have AC heads. Air heads make it even trickier.

:P
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)