Author Topic: Compact Dryers under 8ft long.  (Read 7023 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Compact Dryers under 8ft long.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »
Aren't they all just infrared flash panels??? Well beside the Workhorse Quartz dryers.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 07:43:46 AM »
Pretty much. I guess the only down side to the Vastex is that there are no gates on either side of the dryer to keep the heat inside the chamber. It can't be that big of an issue though because so many people use those dryers with great results and solid reviews. If I was to go home based again I'd probably go with a Vastex. Especially since they still manage a 30" wide belt on a compact dryer. Anything under 24" isn't worth it IMO. I hate folding shirts 3 different ways to get them to fit on the belt.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 09:15:27 AM »
I have Atlas 824. Nice little dryer, it has a forced air and an exhaust so i can run waterbase and discharge (Not that I do that)
The thing that I liked about it when I bought it, I was able to take it down into my basement.
What I did not like about it (And still do not) is 24" belt. Hate printing XXL and XXXL shirts and folding them on 24" belt.
I wish I have bought 36", but my space constraints prohibited it.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I've always wondered about the vastex models.  It's basically a flash panel with a conveyor going under it, right?  I would be worried it would cure the surface, but not penetrate the garment since there is no heat trap in the "chamber".  Ever have washfast issues?

Nothing has come back yet... your description is pretty close.

Steve

Same here. Never had any curing issues with the Vastex.

To my understanding dryers are either:
Infrared (standard option)
quartz (not a fan)
gas (best option)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 10:20:36 AM »
I have the EconoMax has been a real good dryer, bought it from another member here years ago,  I'll looked at the Vastex dyers and I like the compact size which would fit perfect for us, but I just can't pull the trigger on it.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Steve Harpold

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
I've always wondered about the vastex models.  It's basically a flash panel with a conveyor going under it, right?  I would be worried it would cure the surface, but not penetrate the garment since there is no heat trap in the "chamber".  Ever have washfast issues?

Steve

quartz (not a fan)
gas (best option)

"Infra Red" is a wave length
A Quartz dryer is an "Infra Red Dryer" with quartz however there is a little more choice into the "Infra Red" wave length. See long wave, medium wave and short wave.  All three waves have different effects but are all considers "Infra Red" dryers

Gas or Electric with heat exchanger are the same thing.  The concept is to heat air in a separate chamber, use the air to carry the energy to the shirt.  The better the dryer the more even the air temp is over the length of the dryer.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 03:20:54 PM »

Steve

quartz (not a fan)
gas (best option)

or both, we have 48" and 60" Advance jet air, infra in and out, gas convection in the center...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »

quartz (not a fan)
gas (best option)

or both, we have 48" and 60" Advance jet air, infra in and out, gas convection in the center...

Steve
[/quote]

Interesting! I didn't know they made them that way.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »

quartz (not a fan)
gas (best option)

Steve

Interesting! I didn't know they made them that way.
[/quote]

Early '90's dryers, 2 panels going in to get the ink up to a higher temp before going through the gas section, then one panel at the very end for the extra bootintheass...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 01:50:15 AM »
Those with a Vastex, are those frame rails sharp? They sure look it.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 06:28:56 AM »
I don't want to move this thread off topic but for anyone thinking of a dryer like this I have a Vastex Big Red 30 that needs a new home.  Great dryer, upgraded to a larger gas and this has been sitting as a backup.  PM me if you'd like more info and we can discuss, I'm in New York.

Offline lrsbranding

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 10:29:29 AM »
We have a newer Vastex EconoRed I 54" with the 4300 watt heaters. One of my concerns when purchasing the unit was it didn't have the damper doors or enclosed curing area so how can it get a good cure. I guess it doesn't need them. Between adjustable heater height, belt speed and temperatue control it works. It'll burn the crap out of the shirts if you let it. After having the 54" wide belt I don't think I could go back to anything less. Kind of like having the quartz flash on a manual press. Could not imagine having to swing a flash unit again. With the wider belt I can run at a slower speed to give a longer cure time and longer cool off time. I visited a shop running one with a 15 second cure time and they were having excellent results. You definitely need a catcher at that speed.  I was taught that a longer cure time with a slower ramp speed was better but I have also heard that all you need is to reach cure temp. Doesn't matter how fast or for how long. So I don't know. If you are going to do water and discharge I think I would get the 2 heaters.
 The frame rails aren't sharp. It's really designed well. I also like the ability to expand the belt length and add another heat chamber if needed.
Since getting the dryer my only complaint when curing is that dang Atkins probe. Talked my wife into spending the money and have yet to get it to work right. I get toasted shirts before it hits 320.   

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:43 PM »
So I think I have narrowed my choices down to two:

Vastex Little Red II
30" belt
30" heat chamber
2 12x24 panels = 5200 watts
7' overall length
$3800

Ranar Curestar 4000
24" belt
48" heat chamber
1 24x24 panel = 4000 watts
8' overall length
$3200

I like the Ranar due to the price. I like the Vastex due to the 30" belt and it's a foot shorter.
They both have the same size panel essentially but I'm thinking more watts in the Vastex would give more thru put even with the shorter chamber. Thoughts?

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 06:34:04 PM »
How much more would the ranar 6000 cost? I think the 36" belt would be worth it in the long run.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
It's about a grand more, I would like it better but nervous about space in the garage and the extra amperage.