Author Topic: Port a cool?  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Port a cool?
« on: June 25, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
Does anyone have one of these setup in their shop?  We are limited on space but I'm thinking of getting one of these.  I'm also wondering if it would have any negative affects on things like an automatic being so close to it.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Port a cool?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 06:48:21 PM »
Depends on the weather. High humidity areas don't even bother as they actually increase the humidity making it feel hotter. If you are in a dry climate with Temps under 90 they will work well. Not sure if they would cause issues with printing although you may have a concern with putting moisture in the air and in the tees. Possible curing issue? I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:01:58 PM by Prosperi-Tees »

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:25:44 PM »
only work in dry climates and really help wity static charge.

hot and dry shirts are lightning out here, like really bad so getting some moisture into the air helps.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 07:28:47 PM »
only work in dry climates and really help wity static charge.

hot and dry shirts are lightning out here, like really bad so getting some moisture into the air helps.
Didn't think about that. I hate getting shocked every shirt you pull off the press.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:29:10 AM »
It definitely puts the idea out here.  Humidity is a killer here.  Thanks for the info.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »
we use a little $300 spot AC from global industrial. Doesn't take up much space, easy to clean, and keeps our guys COLD.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
we use a little $300 spot AC from global industrial. Doesn't take up much space, easy to clean, and keeps our guys COLD.

Thanks, I'm ordering 2.  1 for loader and unloader and 1 for the sorter.  It looks like they will do the trick.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 09:43:52 AM »
they work in higher humidity areas...otherwise our northern wouldn't stock them.

the trick is airflow.  you need to exhaust the shop air or it will stop working.  we've been running one since 1998ish. 

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 09:53:36 AM »
Yes we have two of them and they work in either humid or dry conditions. Basically blowing 70 degree air out of them. We have a 48" and a 36" but we went with the Global industrial models instead. Better price, more features. We wouldn't be able to make it through the summer without them. I'm thinking of adding two more to just blow into open areas of the shop.Better to circulate cooler air than the hot air of the building. The smaller ones are good if you want one right up on someone. the larger ones are better for open areas where you are trying to reach a distance. The fan velocity can blow your paperwork and shirt piles all over so you just have to be clever in your placement of the units. My dryer guy already has his kicking this morning, they do make a difference.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:36:02 PM »
Yes we have two of them and they work in either humid or dry conditions. Basically blowing 70 degree air out of them. We have a 48" and a 36" but we went with the Global industrial models instead. Better price, more features. We wouldn't be able to make it through the summer without them. I'm thinking of adding two more to just blow into open areas of the shop.Better to circulate cooler air than the hot air of the building. The smaller ones are good if you want one right up on someone. the larger ones are better for open areas where you are trying to reach a distance. The fan velocity can blow your paperwork and shirt piles all over so you just have to be clever in your placement of the units. My dryer guy already has his kicking this morning, they do make a difference.

What's the humidity like where you are? Being in Florida, I imagine it's pretty high for you, so if it'd work there it should work damn near anywhere.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »
We have a big 'ol one and it works great. Being near the ocean our humidity varies from not much to kind of a lot
depending on how the wind blows, and it still works great. Might be that we use it for the dryer girls and the air there locally
is probably pretty dry.

If possible position it where you can run a hose to it. Filling it up a couple times a day gets old.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 03:22:35 PM »
I dropped a water line by the back door to fill ours...it also shuts off from the inside so water thieves can't steal.  We had one spigot outside that was used by someone and then just left running for god knows how long...a-holes.  Now everything has an inside shut-off.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
We use a little one and it helps a hair when the heat is really brutal.  But we also have a big one installed on the outside wall, ducted in and piped to the front and back of dryer that gets most of the work done.  Airflow is key, open the doors.

I would like to have amperage for a couple of the portable AC robots, I think that would make a big difference for my staff when it's 90+ and all the flashes are running.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 05:36:56 PM »

What's the humidity like where you are? Being in Florida, I imagine it's pretty high for you, so if it'd work there it should work damn near anywhere.

Its all over the place, today was a little over 53% humidity in Lakeland. The velocity of the fans pretty much conquer what you would expect. Dryer days just use more water basically, but the temp blowing out stays consistent. Evaporative coolers are actually used in dry climates in place of a/c units and work really well. I have an uncle with a full home controlled with evaporative roof top units. There are parts of Florida where some industrial places actually use deep water well systems to pump in the chilli water from down deep, run through a system similar to an ac system. Heat recovered through the coils is pumped back in the ground at different depths as the inflow. There are actually homes along the Forth Lauderdale intracoastal that use these type cooling systems. Pretty cool. I'd love to ac this place but we'd basically have to build a building, within this building and we don't own it so heck naw lol.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »
that would be a geo thermal system, the most efficient heat pump system in the world.

costs a ton to have the well drilled, lines placed and filled with glychol.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services