Author Topic: Union Inks  (Read 12208 times)

Offline JohnMageeUnionink

• Verified/Junior
Union Inks
« on: July 07, 2016, 05:11:29 PM »
Let me know if I can help out with Union ink questions. I also represent Rutland and QCM.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group
Rutland Ink, Union Ink, Qcm Ink, Printtop Ink

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Union Inks
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:16:40 PM »
Over the years I have not found a better white as far as opacity, smooth matte finish and very soft hand especially how cheap it is in Wilflex LB Quick White. I have never used Union Inks so I do not know what would compare.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »
can you add a dealer in GA that stocks and represents your inks?  Impossible here, is it because this is Wilfex's backyard?
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:32:33 PM »
Was gonna say the exact same about the West Coast. Some of my favorite inks but not
well represented out here.

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 05:35:02 PM »
Over the years I have not found a better white as far as opacity, smooth matte finish and very soft hand especially how cheap it is in Wilflex LB Quick White. I have never used Union Inks so I do not know what would compare.

In a side by side test the new union eclipse white kicked the crap out of the wilflex quick white. Back in the day I found the union whites to be horrible but whatever changes they have made seem to have worked. We haven't done much printing with the new union whites but the testing we have done with them showed very promising results.

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 05:44:08 PM »
About time, I stop using union's white inks long time ago but stayed with there color inks which I like, I do my seps and color by there pantone color chart makes work and color selection easy.

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
can you add a dealer in GA that stocks and represents your inks?  Impossible here, is it because this is Wilfex's backyard?

Lett me look into that for you and I will let you know what I find out.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:21 PM »
Was gonna say the exact same about the West Coast. Some of my favorite inks but not

Yeah, you got going too late to have had Tubelite as our supplier of choice
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
About time, I stop using union's white inks long time ago but stayed with there color inks which I like, I do my seps and color by there pantone color chart makes work and color selection easy.

darryl

I think you will be impressed by the new whites- it was a long time coming!
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »

We should have you pretty well covered on the West coast. I cover the bay area on up north to Vancouver. Near Oakland you have Midwest Sign and Supply in Hayward. There are also Midwest branches in Portland and Seattle. I will have to ask Javier Posada which suppliers represent us in SOCal.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 05:52:10 PM »

In a side by side test the new union eclipse white kicked the crap out of the wilflex quick white. Back in the day I found the union whites to be horrible but whatever changes they have made seem to have worked. We haven't done much printing with the new union whites but the testing we have done with them showed very promising results.

Thanks Danny! I'll be in Denver all next week if you need anything.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »

Here is a quick (long) blurb I typed in response to 3 deep concerning our new Stellar series inks. In addition to what I outline below, we have an amazing Silicone White and of course our EKO inks.

The new whites are pretty exciting. The information I'll provide you below is a mixture of our corporate message and my impressions as a printer.
The theme of these inks would be that they have a satin style hand, print with lower pressure and clear the screen better than most inks of this opacity. On an M&R your average pressure is between 25-35 PSI. We have found that a 60/90/60 or 55/95/55 squeegee will produce the best finish. These inks are also priced to be more competitive while still providing the quality that our customers associate with Union.

The Lunar Cotton white PADE1040 is optically brighter and does not have that yellowish tinge to it in the bucket.

The Eclipse Low Bleed PLHE1060 is a go-to low bleed that clears the screen easier than Diamond White. Diamond white will still be a must have tool to have in your back pocket for nightmare garments but Eclipse is more of your day-to-day workhorse. This is my favorite ink to do side by side print tests with. It clears the screen better than any of the traditional low-bleeds of similar opacity that I have tested so far.

Mercury Low Bleed PLHE1050 is a really interesting product that I feel is another important tool for any custom shop. This is a non-traditional low bleed in that it has a different chemistry that does not utilize blowing agents. The hand and matte down are amazing. When printed properly you can get a hand and opacity that could pass for a high end water-base. We refer to Mercury as our "boutique" style ink.
Speaking printer to printer, I have customers that love this ink on tri-blends because of it's fiber matte down and fast flash. I also have customers that have replaced their athletic white with Mercury- but I cannot yet verify the success of that choice. It is not as strong a dye blocker as Eclipse or Diamond, but this product definately has value to custom shops.

Cosmic White ATHP1060 is our low temp poly ink. It cures at 280 degrees. Really nice hand, terrific low temp dye migration resistance and I feel it clears the screen better than any true poly ink I have tested so far. There is a companion under base grey that prints with a much lower profile than your regular under base greys. It's much smoother as well. Many of my customers choose to print with out the UB grey while a couple of my athletic printers have made it S.O.P. I think everyone should have at least a quart on hand to solve problems when you are up against deadlines.

Again, Printer to printer- the only thing I would caution you about is that these inks need to be stirred up in the bucket before you load your screen. It's not a separation issue- they just need sheer to get started. Some customers have reported that Mercury and Eclipse will climb the flood bar right out of the bucket during cold weather. This is why we suggest a good stir or even allowing the bucket to warm up on top of the dryer if your shop conditions allow for it.

Let me know if there is anything more I can provide you.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »

Your local supplier would be Texsource. Let me know if you need anything else. Your Rutland/Union rep for Ga would be Max Price.
John Magee
Technical Sales
Rutland Group

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 07:06:40 PM »

We should have you pretty well covered on the West coast. I cover the bay area on up north to Vancouver. Near Oakland you have Midwest Sign and Supply in Hayward. There are also Midwest branches in Portland and Seattle. I will have to ask Javier Posada which suppliers represent us in SOCal.

That's good to know that you are out here. Midwest does carry some Union inks but stock can be iffy.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 07:26:31 PM »

That's good to know that you are out here. Midwest does carry some Union inks but stock can be iffy.

I've been using Beckmar lately  http://www.beckmar.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?