Author Topic: ANOTHER Challenge!  (Read 3289 times)

Offline theMadArtist

• Creativity Makes the Difference!
ANOTHER Challenge!
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
A Company is forming, wanting me to take this idea and make a Killer Vector!
Maybe one day I WILL do drugs! heh
Will post the design when finished.....
Custom Art done FAST! And within your Budget...
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline theMadArtist

Re: ANOTHER Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 08:39:45 PM »
Don't SAY it! I KNOW!
My NDP (No Deposit Policy) has bit me in the grass again....Here's the finished art- with the lettering just thrown in for a suggestion~ and here was their reply:

"Hey mad mike I apologize I'm on vacation right now but I really like it and this will be a great limited edition shirt but I feel like I goofed up on my end and jumped the gun, being just starting out this company I should focus more on just waterfowl as for now and down the road I can add this to a limited edition shirt."

Asked him to pay me, since I spent two days on it..... no relpy. Been 3 weeks.....
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »
Don't SAY it! I KNOW!
My NDP (No Deposit Policy) has bit me in the grass again....Here's the finished art- with the lettering just thrown in for a suggestion~ and here was their reply:

"Hey mad mike I apologize I'm on vacation right now but I really like it and this will be a great limited edition shirt but I feel like I goofed up on my end and jumped the gun, being just starting out this company I should focus more on just waterfowl as for now and down the road I can add this to a limited edition shirt."

Asked him to pay me, since I spent two days on it..... no relpy. Been 3 weeks.....

Sure it hurts to not get paid for your work.....And hopefully this guy will pay up...But sometimes making it easier for folks to use you, may increase your sales......And more sales less unpaid jobs may leave you with more on the bottom line...Good luck....

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
Thanks for understanding, Roy!  :)
I also look at the fact that the more art we do- the better we GET at it!
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
Not only does this happen, there are folks who will get multiple artist to do a design and go with the one they like that is cheapest. While I was doing freelance, I finally had to ask for half up front from new clients. If they bought several designs from me with no payment problems I would drop the half up front. Best to watch your back.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Not only does this happen, there are folks who will get multiple artist to do a design and go with the one they like that is cheapest. While I was doing freelance, I finally had to ask for half up front from new clients. If they bought several designs from me with no payment problems I would drop the half up front. Best to watch your back.

There was an internet business model that sprang up a couple of years back in which a bunch of artists would each design the job, and send in their version with only one winner getting their design chosen and paid! Sheesh!
All I could think of was going to a half dozen restaurants, checking out their dinners over the course of a week, and then just paying for the one I liked the best.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:29:53 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 05:28:27 PM »

There was an internet business model that sprang up a couple of years back in which a bunch of artists would each design the job, and send in their version with only one winner getting paid their design chosen and paid! Sheesh!
All I could think of was going to a half dozen restaurants, checking out their dinners over the course of a week, and then just paying for the one I liked the best.

Good advice! Might HAVE to resort to that; it's startin' to get ridiculous!
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »

There was an internet business model that sprang up a couple of years back in which a bunch of artists would each design the job, and send in their version with only one winner getting paid their design chosen and paid! Sheesh!

Good advice! Might HAVE to resort to that; it's startin' to get ridiculous!

Yup! Saw that and laughed!
It's a Walmart Society we live in!
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
99Designs.com is the one that I know of.  We've had customers bring in their "winning" designs from this site and they've been pretty poor.  Elance.com is another one we've heard of.

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »
Don't those sites put your art up for sale?
That's not like the companies that want hundreds of artists to compete for one job....
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 12:17:11 PM »
The ones we are talking about are specific competitions with prize money for the "winner".
The more the client is willing to spend, the more entrants.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
Many of the 99Designs designers are simply copying existing logos. The clients love the art, but then weeks later, they find out the truth when someone tells them their logo is a rip-off.

Crowdsourcing is a scam for everyone involved except the website hosting it.

Mike, keep at it, don't relent and pester the hell out of him. Nobody should work for free, for spec or for crowdsourcing contest scams.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 08:28:42 AM »
Thanks, Commander!
He just paid HALF, and says he will pay me the rest later when he figures out how to use it.
(Of course, I haven't SENT him the art).
It's like this New Generation has no standards, no virtue anymore......
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
You are doing it to your self though. If they want your artwork they will pay up front. We do 6 figures of artwork per year, not a single one of those orders are done before payment is made.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline theMadArtist

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
I fear getting even LESS buz if I require payment up front.
I'd estimate that 95% end up paying.....I'm trying new ways of trying to drum up more buz.
Thank you for your thought- and candor!
theMadArtist.org
(253)652-4443

themadartist@live.com