Author Topic: Wilflex Epic Rio mixing system  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Wilflex Epic Rio mixing system
« on: July 25, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »
My contact at Wilflex in Asia pointed me towards the Rio color mixing system. Apparently it`s Wilflex answer to Union Mixo color system with added benefits like accurate Pantone match, much brighter colors and good wet on wet printing.
Any of you guys currently using the RIO system?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Wilflex Epic Rio mixing system
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
It appears to be quite new, as its roll-out announcement appeared just two weeks go.

http://www.polyone.com/news/textile-screen-printers-have-new-ally-epic-rio-non-phthalate-ink-mixing-system-wilflex
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
no interest here as it's a 'finished' ink system.  Due to all the different bases we use for different purposes, we prefer the Wilflex PC system.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:10:15 AM »
no interest here as it's a 'finished' ink system.  Due to all the different bases we use for different purposes, we prefer the Wilflex PC system.

By being aimed at the manual shop (though they say it's also great on autos) the implication may be smaller runs, and smaller quantities mixed.
My biggest problem with the PC systems since I first used them twenty years ago or so, was the difficulty in accurately mixing some components for just a few ounces of finished product. They can get incredibly tiny.

Also, after the test half pints I had, when I looked into replacing some pigments, they were only available in gallons, of which some colors would last me and well into the next millennium, if I were to last that long.

btw, since moving away from p/f/p, I am almost always adding a base even to my Mixopake finished inks. (Just as, many, many, years ago, to reduce stock, I bought some colors in Maxopake, and merely cut it for lights. In fact, in that same vein, I bought Chrome Yellow and made it Golden Yellow with the addition of red pigment
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:12:47 AM by Frog »

Offline noortrd

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »
Whats the price?  Its for both oil and water base ink?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 10:09:45 AM »
Whats the price?  Its for both oil and water base ink?
This is a plastisol system.
Check your Wilflex dealer for price.

Offline pcshone

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »

By being aimed at the manual shop (though they say it's also great on autos) the implication may be smaller runs, and smaller quantities mixed.
My biggest problem with the PC systems since I first used them twenty years ago or so, was the difficulty in accurately mixing some components for just a few ounces of finished product. They can get incredibly tiny.

Also, after the test half pints I had, when I looked into replacing some pigments, they were only available in gallons, of which some colors would last me and well into the next millennium, if I were to last that long.

btw, since moving away from p/f/p, I am almost always adding a base even to my Mixopake finished inks. (Just as, many, many, years ago, to reduce stock, I bought some colors in Maxopake, and merely cut it for lights. In fact, in that same vein, I bought Chrome Yellow and made it Golden Yellow with the addition of red pigment

Epic Rio - works very well on automatics too - here are two pictures of a print I achieved with a professional outfit in South London UK - 9 colours - flash white through 120T per cm some colours through 150T     2 flashes  - 120 prints / 20 minutes / M&R Challenger 3 - job done ????????

Philip Collins-Shone
Area Sales Manager, EMEA Specialty Inks and Polymer Systems
PolyOne Corporation
Philip.collins-shone@polyone.com
Philip Collins-Shone
Area Sales Manager, EMEA, Specialty Inks and Polymer Systems
+44 (0) 775 852 349
Philip.collins-shone@PolyOne.com

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 02:42:21 PM »
How good are the wet-on-wet characteristics after a 1,000+ pcs?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline pcshone

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 01:15:49 AM »
How good are the wet-on-wet characteristics after a 1,000+ pcs?
Hi Colin

That is the next challenge ???? will update you when I have run that many - tricky to find 1,000 piece runs these days ????

Philip Collins-Shone
PolyOne Corporation
Philip Collins-Shone
+44 (0) 775 852 349

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 04:41:29 AM »

Epic Rio - works very well on automatics too - here are two pictures of a print I achieved with a professional outfit in South London UK - 9 colours - flash white through 120T per cm some colours through 150T     2 flashes  - 120 prints / 20 minutes / M&R Challenger 3 - job done ????????

Philip Collins-Shone
PolyOne Corporation
Looks great. Which shop did that. Just out of interest as I have worked myself in screen printing in London for many years.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:47:29 AM by Rockers »

Offline pcshone

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 04:48:21 AM »
I am sure they won't mind a bit of positive publicity - we worked with FITshirts to do this - great team in here ????????

Philip Collins-Shone
PolyOne Corporation
Philip Collins-Shone
+44 (0) 775 852 349

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 06:38:12 AM »
We are getting this system this week and hope to do a lot of testing over the coming weeks. We do have several 1000+ orders coming up but it's unclear if we'll "test" the inks and system on those or go with what we know works.

We do plan on a full review, good and bad, when the time comes if anyone is interested. I downloaded the mixing system program yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to really dig into it, it does look pretty sweet!

We are all auto and do a lot of WoW printing

Offline pcshone

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »
We are getting this system this week and hope to do a lot of testing over the coming weeks. We do have several 1000+ orders coming up but it's unclear if we'll "test" the inks and system on those or go with what we know works.

We do plan on a full review, good and bad, when the time comes if anyone is interested. I downloaded the mixing system program yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to really dig into it, it does look pretty sweet!

We are all auto and do a lot of WoW printing

Philip Collins-Shone
PolyOne Corporation
Philip Collins-Shone
+44 (0) 775 852 349

Offline pcshone

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
EPIC RIO printed last week in Moscow with DIGL Design - the colours  (5)- printed wet on wet 100T, single stroke- Dark blue in WIlfex logo direct to garment :-)

Philip Collins-Shone
PolyOne Corporation
Philip Collins-Shone
+44 (0) 775 852 349

Offline Ross_S

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 02:02:52 PM »
Has anyone used the Rio system on longer Sim. Process runs (500+)?  If so how was the WOW print-ability and opacity throughout the run?