Author Topic: those pesky soft corners  (Read 2987 times)

Offline AAMike

those pesky soft corners
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »
We continue to have trouble holding down the soft corners on the newman roller frames. If we don't tape them, emulsion pools in the corners but the reclaim process always breaks the tape loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:39:33 AM by SoffeMike »

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
Re: those pesky soft corners
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:53:34 AM »
I don't coat past the ends of the rollers.
Dale Hoyal

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:55:54 AM »
I trim the corners back like Orion does.

and then tape in a 45 degree angle corner to corner.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:03:49 PM »
i see bolt mesh..

the corner is to soft and i can tell whoever is making screens, is not using the alignment clips when the corners are softened.

You corner soften tool is the width of the frame corner. that is also the same distance you place a clip from the corner down the locking rail. place a cilp on both corners then soften.

by how much you soften the corner, you can control how tight those corners are.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline AAMike

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 08:07:12 AM »
You are probably right John. The softened corner is too big. I terminated our screen stretcher on Monday and this will give us the opportunity to train a new person correctly. BTW, he was terminated for sleeping on the job, not softening the corners too much.

Thanks Guys

Offline StrongerThanDirt

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 09:45:44 PM »
I trim the corners back like Orion does.

and then tape in a 45 degree angle corner to corner.

Unrelatedly, do you use a dip tank?  How do you keep the permanent marker markings on your tape?  I currently use an old screwdriver to etch the mesh count number into the tape, but it looks like it was drawn by a drunk baboon and is barely legible.  If I use marker, the dip tank just eats it right up.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »
cover with clear tape
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Screen Dan

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »
We just use a Brother label machine with whatever the cheapest tape is at the moment.  We label the mesh count and the initial stretch date and every subsequent retension date.  The labels have no problem sticking through the dip tank.

Hell, we even tape our screens before putting them on the rack BEFORE we mask or develop them.  Dip tank here too.  This is with PMI split tape.  No problems at all.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
I ordered labels printed with the most common mesh counts.  To keep it cheaper I ordered a 3/4" x whatever with the numbers in a row, like this:

110 155w 155w 230 305

I got couple hundred of these in permanent/outdoor decals.  Works great and I think it cost around $70 for all the labels I should ever need.