Author Topic: Stencil?  (Read 7739 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Stencil?
« on: July 26, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
I have a customer that wants some reusable stencils for marking.  Any idea what I need on a vinyl cutter?  Will sandblast mask work?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Stencil?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
Begs the question, how is he going to use the stencils?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:57:50 PM »
Well first frog, he is a she, so don't assume. ;)

They want to spray paint their logo on poured cement and block walls at their worksites.

Offline KevWilso

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
You could do vinyl...... Not sure how reusable it would be though..  A better option would be just laser cut a piece of ply wood; if you have access to a laser cutter.
Kevin Wilson
River City Graphic Supply 512-454-0505 www.rivercitygraphicsupply.com

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
Thats what I would suggest.  Laser cut something thicker, wood or chipboard, then use spray adhesive on the back.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 02:24:51 PM »
I found some mylar that's pretty thick.  I can back it with vinyl for cutting purposes.

Or maybe I'll just break down and get that laser cutter i've been wanting. ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »
In the old days, we hand cut heavy card stock.
How about sending it through a cutter with a cutting mat?
btw, when I ran campaign posters, the hot stuff was called "milk carton stock". It held up the best.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
Yeah, I was going to use a couple layers of crappy old vinyl as the cutting matt.  We'll see if it works.  Worst case I will have a roll of mylar floating around, just in case the need arises for semi-rigid plastic sheeting...

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
Do you really want to be in the "paint stencil" business or are you just wasting a lot of time you could be using to market your strengths?....

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »
Do you really want to be in the "paint stencil" business or are you just wasting a lot of time you could be using to market your strengths?....

Remember that this particular customer has been identified as a "she" so Brad may well be going beyond the normal call of duty.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »

Not every job is about squeezing out as much profit as possible in the most efficient way...

I would close up shop immediately if I wasn't allowed to actually be creative and tinker with crap.  That's why I got into this business, not to get rich.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:54:06 PM »
They are in our top 5 customers and frankly top 3 favorite customers.  I am not looking to make anything on it, just looking to stay in front of the other suppliers that are banging on their doors weekly.

I'm doing OK on the 2 other orders they have in house right now.

Also, it's a challenge...and sometimes I like something out of my wheelhouse.

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »

Not every job is about squeezing out as much profit as possible in the most efficient way...

I would close up shop immediately if I wasn't allowed to actually be creative and tinker with crap.  That's why I got into this business, not to get rich.

I have little or no desire to be creative so I do not veer out of my niches (magnets & stadium cups are over 80% of my sales these days) very often....But great for those who want to.....

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »
thin styrene, like .020, run it through the plotter on multi pass, 3 or 4 cuts should do it...same blade you use for that cad cut heat press vinyl crap...45 degree I think

spray glue on the back and stick it to the substrate, spray it..peel off slowly.

OR...loose(ish) mesh screen on a screen, coat and expose as usual. spray glue the back of that and have a go. mesh must be loose or it won't stick..so this is where a wood frame gets used... ;D

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
They are in our top 5 customers and frankly top 3 favorite customers.  I am not looking to make anything on it, just looking to stay in front of the other suppliers that are banging on their doors weekly.

I'm doing OK on the 2 other orders they have in house right now.

Also, it's a challenge...and sometimes I like something out of my wheelhouse.

If you are doing a good job of what you are currently selling them, IMO there is little chance saying no to a "specialty item" will get you in trouble.....This is based on my many years in business....And while my local business is not much these days, I have little fear of sending an inquiry to a local competitor....I know my strengths.....Good luck....