Author Topic: Stencil?  (Read 7738 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Stencil?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 03:11:14 PM »
They are in our top 5 customers and frankly top 3 favorite customers.  I am not looking to make anything on it, just looking to stay in front of the other suppliers that are banging on their doors weekly.

I'm doing OK on the 2 other orders they have in house right now.

Also, it's a challenge...and sometimes I like something out of my wheelhouse.

If you are doing a good job of what you are currently selling them, IMO there is little chance saying no to a "specialty item" will get you in trouble.....This is based on my many years in business....And while my local business is not much these days, I have little fear of sending an inquiry to a local competitor....I know my strengths.....Good luck....

Hey, thanks for the advice, but I don't see in there any tips on making a stencil on a plotter like I had asked for.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 04:52:19 PM »
For our local school, I cut a vinyl decal and applied it to PVC board and then with a stencil knife carefully cut around the vinyl edges making sure to leave little connecting points so it would hold the centers.  It was a pain but the school has been great for our business even though there is several other printers they could choose from so going out of the way a little was a small price to pay.

That being said, I wouldn't want to be in the stencil making business.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »
I went with Homer's tips and it worked well.  It wasn't the easiest thing I've done, but we had fun messing around with it.

I have a couple sheets of mylar shipping in and I think I am going to play around with those as well. 

In the end the customer was happy and I dropped off their stencil with their $2500 order of tees and embroidery. 

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2021, 09:36:35 AM »
thin styrene, like .020, run it through the plotter on multi pass, 3 or 4 cuts should do it...same blade you use for that cad cut heat press vinyl crap...45 degree I think

Any idea if the multi pass feature is an option on the roland gd-24? I have a customer looking for a 7' long stencil. I was thinking of plotting in to card stock but I am open to any ideas...
Thanks,

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2021, 01:36:52 PM »
thin styrene, like .020, run it through the plotter on multi pass, 3 or 4 cuts should do it...same blade you use for that cad cut heat press vinyl crap...45 degree I think

Any idea if the multi pass feature is an option on the roland gd-24? I have a customer looking for a 7' long stencil. I was thinking of plotting in to card stock but I am open to any ideas...
Thanks,

... That info would be in your RIP program, not the cutter itself. I would bet you have that option, that's a very basic feature.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 09:13:34 AM »
my stupid brain says simply go to SIGNS365 but a heavy 15 oz  banner printed with their logo sell tham the banner and throw in a free pair of scissors and an Exacto knife and let her cut it out.
Flexible, reusable and most likely cleanable...................moosegoldberg strikes again
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2021, 09:28:15 AM »
In the old days, we hand cut heavy card stock.
How about sending it through a cutter with a cutting mat?
btw, when I ran campaign posters, the hot stuff was called "milk carton stock". It held up the best.

I think that Milk carton stuff (Plastic) would be best. After so many sprays of paint on the cement, the paint can peal off of the stencil really easy that way.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
Just realized how old this post was. LOL.. I think it’s taken care of by now.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
Just realized how old this post was. LOL.. I think it’s taken care of by now.

Yes, yes it was. ;)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2021, 10:31:36 AM »
And my milk carton material was not plastic but coated paper.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2021, 11:13:12 AM »

We had milk cartons in school, my wife had plastic bags of milk.  That sounds like a really bad idea.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »
It was a dead thread but I revived it. I ended up buying some poster board sized plastic sheets from Micheal's. I never did figure out multiple passes on the gs-24 but it worked with about 3x the pressure that I use for htv. The customer is happy and I made a few bucks... All good. I thank you all again for the all the help.
Have a great weekend.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »

We had milk cartons in school, my wife had plastic bags of milk.  That sounds like a really bad idea.

Major stray from the original subject, but the advent of large plastic bags of milk for dispensers, was a big deal for restaurants. I also seem to remember really old milk cartons as "waxy" but eventually, a coating that though waterproof (and weatherproof), allowed printing with standard inks. A real break-though in the campaign sign game. At the time, mid-seventies, one particular Bay Area company, COGS (Campaign Outdoor Graphics Service) had the market cornered on this material, and used various flat stock printers throughout the area to print, two of which I worked at in my former life.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?