Author Topic: 'Waterbased' silione ink? Printing on nylon substrate  (Read 1212 times)

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
'Waterbased' silione ink? Printing on nylon substrate
« on: August 08, 2016, 08:44:48 AM »
I am being told a factory printing for us overseas needs to use a waterbased, rather than an oil based silicone ink to print a decoration on a nylon fabric.

I reached out to a couple of silicone ink dealers I know and this formulation was something they hadn't heard of. Anyone used a water based silicone before? Looking for some information or printed examples of it.

Thanks.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: 'Waterbased' silione ink? Printing on nylon substrate
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
Is that factory already printing with that ink?  Did they say where they got this ink from?

Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Online ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 09:44:04 AM »
Check out Peramset, and their hybrid line. It's meant for nylon.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline srabadan

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »
Don't have much direct experience with these printers yet, I do not know where they are getting this stuff. I've asked folks I know at both CHT and Nazdar, no one has heard of a water based silicone ink. I am wondering if there might be some confusion around the 'water based' ink and 'waterproof' coating language. We will see.

I will check out the Permaset catalog today, thank you.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:54:49 AM »
Not a chemist or expert on this, but I don't think an ink can be both "water based" and "silicone".  They are fundamentally different descriptions of the main component of the ink.  Just like "plastisol" can't also be "silicone".