Author Topic: Union Logos  (Read 2272 times)

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
Union Logos
« on: August 13, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »
I have a potential customer wanting me to print some shirts for their ambulance district.  Their only concern is you have to apparently purchase the permission to use Union logos?

I'm from a large Union/Skilled Trade area and know there could be a potential for a lot of work.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about getting the rights to print Union logos for contractors and what not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Union Logos
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 05:54:18 PM »
Talk to Rick at Mirror Image.. he's about the only real union printer i know, has to join when i worked from him, and knows all that technical stuff about the logos.

Pawtucket, RI - Sales, Production, & Shipping
Mirror Image, Inc
190 Exchange Street
Pawtucket, RI 02860
Phone: (401) 724-5353 / (800) 370-7755
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline jjkage84

• Verified/Junior
  • non illegitimi carborundum
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 06:10:47 PM »
Talk to Rick at Mirror Image.. he's about the only real union printer i know, has to join when i worked from him, and knows all that technical stuff about the logos.

Pawtucket, RI - Sales, Production, & Shipping
Mirror Image, Inc
190 Exchange Street
Pawtucket, RI 02860
Phone: (401) 724-5353 / (800) 370-7755

Awesome buddy!  Thank you!

Offline Nitrox73

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 10:16:47 PM »
To get authorization from almost any union to print their logo legally, you must be a union print shop. We've seen several unions go after shops for reproducing their logos without being an authorized/approved vendor.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
We've done work for unions without having to be a union shop. With permission of course. When we used to print election signs we would often have candidates asking us to print the union bug, and that is a major no-no. Eventually we started using outside vendors like Gill who can print the bug, and that was good enough. So my thought is, you can print a union's logo with their permission, but don't otherwise. And never pretend to be a union shop, it's just not well received...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
I've had to use union-made shirts before for some political party stuff, though I wasn't union (of course, I also have no employees)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »
I worked at one of the largest union printers in the states, maybe the largest.  Yes, you need to be union yourself, when you are you get a union "bug" it must be printed on everything.  Do it illegally and you better be ready for a sh!t storm.  I have experienced it many times.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender