Author Topic: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly  (Read 12367 times)

Offline XG Print

Re: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
Printed my first 100 piece order with the Next Gen cotton.  Pleased with the results.  White is bright BUT I had to really work this ink to get it going.  I print manually and the ink seemed pretty stiff to me compared to the Meteor white I had been using which seemed a lot creamier.  Is there a chance I got shipped an older gallon before the recent update?  I was printing through 155 mesh and really had to work at it the first 20 or so shirts before it settled in.  I am all ears for tips.  I really liked the finished product but it gave me a workout.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
Warm and stir prior to printing? pallets preheated?

Haven't printed with this ink yet, but I have had very few issues with any white ink since I started doing those three things prior to ever putting the ink on press.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
Printed my first 100 piece order with the Next Gen cotton.  Pleased with the results.  White is bright BUT I had to really work this ink to get it going.  I print manually and the ink seemed pretty stiff to me compared to the Meteor white I had been using which seemed a lot creamier.  Is there a chance I got shipped an older gallon before the recent update?  I was printing through 155 mesh and really had to work at it the first 20 or so shirts before it settled in.  I am all ears for tips.  I really liked the finished product but it gave me a workout.

155/64?  That mesh is awful compared to what you could be using instead.  In general, thin thread mesh allows most white inks to print effortlessly.  I got a new 5'er on Monday and it's very creamy and prints like a dream.  All the batches I've got have been great, but the last pail is the best we've got so far. 

One thing we have to be careful with is not leaving the bucket close to the flash units because in our shop it gets so hot and near the flash units it gets to the point where the ink will actually start gelling up due to it's low gel/cure temp.  We've had several different brands of white ink gel in the bucket over the years and that happened to us a few weeks back.  I love my white inks that flash fast but you also have to be careful with it.  Seems crazy that something like that can happen but all those quick flashing white inks we've had over the years have done similar things like this.  The first time this happened was with the older formula of Wilflex Quick White (the one that had the blue tint to it if I'm remembering correctly) and with the old Centurian press with the HiFlash flash units, we used to put the ink on top of the rear portion of the flash and it was 115 in the shop and probably closer to 130 where the ink was.  I pulled the spatula out of the bucket and the ink was attached to it like a giant plastisol popsicle. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
I started storing my poly/LB/lowcure whites in my screen room until I use them, and I am buying individual gallons instead of 5's specifically because of this.

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 06:13:51 PM »

155/64?  That mesh is awful compared to what you could be using instead.  In general, thin thread mesh allows most white inks to print effortlessly.  I got a new 5'er on Monday and it's very creamy and prints like a dream.  All the batches I've got have been great, but the last pail is the best we've got so far. 

[/quote]

Joe told me the other day he is continuously modifying the ink as he goes.  The ink print pretty good for me, but I still have to hit it twice on the UB to clear the mesh.  I was hitting it three times on a 180 S mesh, switched to a 150S and it clears in two passes.  I am having issues with getting it to flood. 

Offline XG Print

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 09:04:50 AM »
Update....Yes I am using the 156/64 mesh so I need to get some S mesh.  I ran another large job last night and I was much more pleased right from the beginning.  Not sure what changed.  This design is much smaller than the first.  Great coverage, even had a few that would have passed after a double stroke but I am p/f/p all of them.  Thanks Looking forward to giving the poly a shot. 

Offline cleveprint

• !!!
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 09:38:27 AM »
I ordered a 5 gal of the cotton white of a few weeks ago and have been running it on any cotton jobs we have. on medium and light colored garments, I've been getting great results with two strokes. very happy with the performance there. when running two screens of white on say a black shirt, I'm getting a crazy amount of puff out of the dryer. i saw somewhere in this thread that I could be over curing, so Ive tried lowering the temp/cure time but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. normally when we do an UB and top white, both screens will go on either a 140 or 160.

so far thats the only real issue I've run into. i love the performance other than that. we have to slow the flood stroke down to get it to flood well, but joe told us that right off the bat.

Offline XG Print

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 10:19:37 AM »
I ordered a 5 gal of the cotton white of a few weeks ago and have been running it on any cotton jobs we have. on medium and light colored garments, I've been getting great results with two strokes. very happy with the performance there. when running two screens of white on say a black shirt, I'm getting a crazy amount of puff out of the dryer. i saw somewhere in this thread that I could be over curing, so Ive tried lowering the temp/cure time but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. normally when we do an UB and top white, both screens will go on either a 140 or 160.

so far thats the only real issue I've run into. i love the performance other than that. we have to slow the flood stroke down to get it to flood well, but joe told us that right off the bat.

I have noticed a bit more puff with this ink over my other white we switched from but have had no complaints.  It really looks good so far.

Offline LoneWolf2

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2016, 11:51:39 AM »
I'm seeing a TON of puff on this as well, which would be fine for a one-hit white or something like that, but as an underbase it can look a little odd. Climbs the squeegee like crazy as well, but i'm thinking that's just due to it being an older gallon possibly.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2016, 01:39:43 PM »
I don't know if your concerns would be answered there, but there is a FAQ section on the Synergy site.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2016, 04:13:14 PM »
About to order my first gallon of the NextGen cotton.  Any tips for using it manually for the first time.  Also noticed they have the NextGen Poly out now.  Anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks

thank you for the opportunity XG.

we have some reasonable FAQ's and PDSheets on NexGen Cotton at www.synergyinks.com
we also have more info then most anyone would need describing our products,

Our inks are very low tack and very shear-thinning which will work for Automatic AND Manual printing but admittedly most of our info is targeted toward Autos, if you have any issue or question; info@synergyinks.com and we'll hook you up.

Poly has been out and well recieved for a while now and we have some brand new FAQ's onm NexGen Poly and we hope to post them before the gig at SGIA.
Joe Clarke
CPR
Home of Smilin'Jack & Synergy Inks
joeclarke@cprknowsjack.com

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2016, 04:15:21 PM »
We're all manual, we gave the nextgen cotton white a try, but it creeps up the squeegee a lot more than we like.  Other members said it worked fine for them though...

We have been enjoying the Nextgen Magic in some of our color mixes. And we've still been using the white to mix colors with as well.

we have been making very slight adjustments in order to improve the flooding and redduce the climbing
Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
We're all manual, we gave the nextgen cotton white a try, but it creeps up the squeegee a lot more than we like.  Other members said it worked fine for them though...

We have been enjoying the Nextgen Magic in some of our color mixes. And we've still been using the white to mix colors with as well.

Based on scrutiny and feedback we have significantly improved the flood properties without compromise.
Good to hear your results re MAGIC.
Excellent to use NexGen Cotton in your color matches.

Please PM me so we can discuss your conditions and so I can better understand your needs?
Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2016, 04:21:47 PM »
When was the tweak made Pierre?

we made a very large number of very small steps in order to make such a singular change without affecting other performance properties.
Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
Don't be afraid to mix in some Magic into anything if you want it to print better, even your white.

It does flash fast and will cure lower than you expect.  When used properly I doubt there is anything better.  I know every shop is different but don't be afraid to push the limits on your print settings like pressure and print speed.  If you are going to print it just like you would any other white ink then you probably won't see just how good the ink is.  It's like driving a sports car, if you drive like a blue-hair then you'll never get to experience the reason why people by a sports car to begin with. 

Some manufacturers (I don't fault them at all for doing this) build their inks to appeal to the largest base of customers and doing so will hinder the performance of the ink.  As this shop has progressed over the years we've had to continually adjust/mix new white inks to keep up with what I'm trying to accomplish on the press.  There is no doubt that printing with light pressure and fast speeds creates a better print, in virtually every category.  If you're ink won't perform at those levels where you'll actually see a difference then you'll have to work so much harder and do many different things to progress and make your shop more efficient and producing higher quality prints.  If you're a plastisol shop then white ink is by far the most important part of your production loop and if you're choosing a white ink based solely on price then a huge percentage of what you print will be affected negatively.  Unless you've found a cheap white ink that will print as good as the expensive ones, which I have yet to find.  And I'm a white ink HO!

So lets say I get the Magic coming too.  Would you go ahead and mix the whole new gallon with Magic and if so at what ratio?  Thanks

we have a very simple graphic PDS on how to determine the optimal amount of MAGIC.
the "meatball" quantity is ~15%
because at 5% you won't see much improvement
at 25% you may compromise opacity
at 35% you will see a color shift

If you will PM me with contact info, I'd l love to send it to you.
Joe Clarke
CPR