Author Topic: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly  (Read 12381 times)

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
Re: NextGen Cotton and NextGen Poly
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
question on the low cure temp. What if there are other colors/inks involved in a design that require higher cure temp?

Great question ESP&E.

Most of our friends are using our whites with NexGen Base which has a comparably low gel and fusin temp. There are one or alternative two brands of ink which require very high gel and fusion temps. With these we recommend NexGen Base. MAGIC will help but adding more than 30% may cause a color shift.
4-mil
as a GUIDELINE ONLY if your fusion temp is 330F [we gauge fusion as 100% elasticity per 4-mil deposit @ 150% elongation] and you add 30% MAGIC you will knock the relative fusion just below 320.
If you need some info on gel and fusion, please let me know.
Joe Clarke
CPR
Home of Smilin'Jack & Synergy Inks
joeclarke@cprknowsjack.com

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2016, 05:05:36 PM »
Printed my first 100 piece order with the Next Gen cotton.  Pleased with the results.  White is bright BUT I had to really work this ink to get it going.  I print manually and the ink seemed pretty stiff to me compared to the Meteor white I had been using which seemed a lot creamier.  Is there a chance I got shipped an older gallon before the recent update?  I was printing through 155 mesh and really had to work at it the first 20 or so shirts before it settled in.  I am all ears for tips.  I really liked the finished product but it gave me a workout.

A couple posts already address the mesh count; I like a 135/55 or 150/45--good ratio of deposit to flow rate.

Since you are printing manually and no doubt "pre-load" the cells, I would like you to add 30% MAGIC to NexGen Cotton. it is vern more shear thinning and slightly lower viscosity.

The vintage of the product is not likely the issue, it is made to take the extraordinary pressure which is used on most autos and still allow super fast stroke speeds.

thanks!
Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2016, 05:15:18 PM »

155/64?  That mesh is awful compared to what you could be using instead.  In general, thin thread mesh allows most white inks to print effortlessly.  I got a new 5'er on Monday and it's very creamy and prints like a dream.  All the batches I've got have been great, but the last pail is the best we've got so far. 

Joe told me the other day he is continuously modifying the ink as he goes.  The ink print pretty good for me, but I still have to hit it twice on the UB to clear the mesh.  I was hitting it three times on a 180 S mesh, switched to a 150S and it clears in two passes.  I am having issues with getting it to flood.
[/quote]

as we discussed, the issue here is easily resolved with a triple blade.
Ideally get a 60/90/60 for the lower counts and a 70/90/70 for the higher counts
you can get a 65/90/65 to do both.

the blade you have is soft and rolls over and forces you to run slowly.
this is restricting the fluid flow by causing back-pressure.
restricted fluid flow is causing you to need multiple passes.

Further becuse the stroke speed is relatively slow [most of our clients print 32-40IPS]...
the ink is not being thinned in a few passes therefore it is not flooding as well as it does for most.

Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline hoogie

• feel free to email hoogies@bnin.net
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
I've just ordered a gallon of your poly and cotton. I've found the data sheet for the cotton, but I've looked around the site and haven't found the PDS for the nexgen poly. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks an I'm eager to give this white a try.
Hoogie...

Offline SI

• !!!
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2016, 09:40:21 PM »
Ideally get a 60/90/60 for the lower counts and a 70/90/70 for the higher counts

Further becuse the stroke speed is relatively slow [most of our clients print 32-40IPS]...
the ink is not being thinned in a few passes therefore it is not flooding as well as it does for most.

I had posted this before talking to you Joe.  Alex recommended Ben from Northwest Graphics, Talked with him and the Rubber that came with the press is single 80 Duro, Ordered some different Triple Duro samples from him and will hopefully see a big improvement.

but as I stated while the printing process I am using is not ideal, the results are fantastic.

Offline Joe Clarke

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »

I had posted this before talking to you Joe.  Alex recommended Ben from Northwest Graphics, Talked with him and the Rubber that came with the press is single 80 Duro, Ordered some different Triple Duro samples from him and will hopefully see a big improvement.

but as I stated while the printing process I am using is not ideal, the results are fantastic.

This is excellent news Jeremy, Please get back to me once you get the blades and we will nail the results. Thank you!
Joe Clarke
CPR

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
Wanted to ask if anyone is using the NextGen Poly with Comfort Colors and how the mat down is with this ink?  Doing another round of white ink tests as I slow down for the holidays and will be ordering a gallon either way, but wanted to see if anyone was using it on fuzzy cotton bleeders like the CC shirts and having good luck.

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2016, 01:12:50 PM »
Oh yeah, prints beautifully on CC.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2016, 01:32:41 PM »
Any issues at all with the Poly?  Puff, pitting, sticky, shiny, rough, etc?

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2016, 01:39:19 PM »
None. Just make sure you keep those temps down and don't over flash.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
Looks great.  Are you using it for your highlight white as well?  Any modifiers to base or highlight (if you are)?

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »
Yep HL white too, no additives, 280/35 mesh.  Actually on this print here we didn't have room for a HL white...that is a single stroke on a 180/45.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2016, 05:58:21 PM »
Is this running consistently for folks?  Following this and waiting for it to be done with it's sort of beta phase.   Would like to see if we can drop this in to replace Quick but I need consistent ink 5er to 5er. 

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2016, 11:05:15 PM »
I would bet the Farm if it's from Mr. C., you can be rest assured it is consistent.