Author Topic: shopworks  (Read 3860 times)

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
shopworks
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
 This is the only software i've seen that can handle everything i need it to, but i really hate it. i hate how expensive it is, and how archaic it looks and feels.

please sell me on this software, and make me think differently.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: shopworks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Google docs..

it's free
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Ron Pierson

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:17:55 AM »
Yup - looks weird. I assure you it's not when you get to know it. The price - yep - HIGH. If you ever purchase and use it the way it is intended (important!!), you will understand and justify these costs. The reason - it does EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. It, alone, allowed us to grow in more ways than imaginable. It's like the first time you used direct to screen, you wonder what took you so long to embrace new ideas.

PS. I'm not a salesman nor do I receive any reward from Shopworks.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:18:08 AM »
Google docs..

it's free

it does not compare, not even close. google docs is just an office program, Shopworks is a shop management program with CRM, accounting and the rest. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:59 PM »
I've only been in one shop who used shopworx and they did not use it like it was supposed to be used. I spent some time in there and basically realized it requires lots of data entry, like more than I was willing to sit at a desk and give it to get out of it.

From my experience with it based on the production tools it offered, i won't buy it. It's also based on File Maker Pro to run it's data base. I recall you needing a licence for each person using the system and that is where it gets wicked pricey.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:30:34 PM »
I find that management programs are a lot like relationships...the more you give it the more it gives you.

That being said, we are working on our own.  It will be fairly basic in the beginning.  We can add features as we go.  The biggest thing for us is making it stupid easy and fast to put the info in so that later we can refer back to it and it gives us fast and accurate quotes.

We've been running T-quoter for 10 years.  10 years ago it was a really great program...it just hasn't changed and the new company running the show won't tell me if any changes are coming.

I tried shopworx.  I won't switch to it for one simple reason...Quickbooks.  We've been using it for over 20 years and there is a ton of data in there.  Our accountant uses it, our payroll drops right into it, it handles the backend while something else should handle the front end.  TO me shopworx recreated the wheel.

On the other hand, I've heard almost all good things from folks that run it.  It's also pricey to me.  We can have a program built for less than setup+ 1 year of shopworx.

Offline shirtz

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
I find that management programs are a lot like relationships...the more you give it the more it gives you.
That analogy is spot on. We switched to shopworks last December. It has been a love hate relationship so far.
We love two thirds of what it does and the other third is the data entry. You and everyone else involved with your organization  must be willing to enter the data to use it to it's full potential.
    Would I buy it again knowing what I know now? Yes it's robust and saves TIME
   Would I do things differently? Yes I would ask way more questions on the accounting side and make sure it was setup properly from the start.
  We just switched to the cloud version and so far we love it. We opened a second production facility and needed to be tied together without having to purchase and maintain our own server. Our sales people also use it remotely.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
has anyone tried, or worked with Impress? I know Zane has, but wondering if anyone else has?
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »
We had/have it at IBG. My take on any of these software programs is that they all have their strengths and limits. Its a pick your .....

Offline UltraSeps

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
I have nothing to add on ShopWorks although I can say that FileMaker Pro, which ShopWorks is reportedly based on, is a powerful relational database app that makes sense and is somewhat easy to learn.

Many years back when I did trade shows, (not for my software), it was when I was still printing, I brought a Mac Classic with me in a giant tote bag and developed a FileMaker Pro app for my business in the hotel rooms at night.  I continue to use it to this day, although I have made some changes and enhancements along the way.  If time allows, its a great app to study and learn.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:51:49 PM by UltraSeps »
Developer of UltraSeps and QuikSeps Color Separation Software. 
Oh yeah, I actually printed t-shirts too for over 30 years.
www.ultraseps.com   www.quikseps.com   www.customseps.com

Offline gtmfg

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »
I think Shopworks has tons to offer. Yes it's expensive but since converting I haven't thought about other software. The only real drawback has to be the accounting side. Especially if you have any experience with QB.