Author Topic: Choking underbase with bitmap texture overlay??  (Read 5818 times)

Offline TrevorTurnbow

Choking underbase with bitmap texture overlay??
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
So I've been using bitmap textures to lay over the top of some of my designs lately and have really been pleased with the outcome.  I never liked how vector textures would bog down Corel and just make the file sizes too large.

My issue is with using this technique for darks shirts that require an underbase. I'm not figuring out how to choke it like I need to. I could do this with vector because I could just trim the texture out of the UB and then add a stroke outline to it.

Possible solutions or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Offline AntonySharples

Re: Choking underbase with bitmap texture overlay??
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
I save the whole image as a PNG, load into photoshop, knock out the texture and create an underbase from there.

Offline AAMike

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 09:49:30 AM »
You create 2 different bitmap textures. Take the UB one and choke it back a couple of pixels in photoshop.

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 10:51:45 AM »
End result:

Use photoshop not corel.

And if you are using photoshop, do not worry about making your textures bitmaps.  Keep them as greyscale information.  This way you can actually use your curve tool to scale back your underbase - instead of trying to do pixel shrinkage.... You end up loosing a lot of dots that way.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
End result:

Use photoshop not corel.

And if you are using photoshop, do not worry about making your textures bitmaps.  Keep them as greyscale information.  This way you can actually use your curve tool to scale back your underbase - instead of trying to do pixel shrinkage.... You end up loosing a lot of dots that way.

Although I still often combine DRAW with my old Photoshop, I bet that someone who knows what they are doing can do all of the raster stuff in PhotoPaint to make it more seamless.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JORDANART

• Verified/Junior
  • jordandowningart.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
   Creating the Underbase for a Distressed or textured design in Photoshop is a lot easier than most artists think. I always build my separations using Channels and using the Magic wand or Color Range. After selecting the area that will become the underbase,  go to SELECT > Modify > Contract. 2-3px. this should give you enough trap for the underbase. Every press works differently so I suggest finding out what works best for your equipment.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
Keep in mind, that we have no reason to assume that the OP even has Photoshop. It was never mentioned by him. (nor has he returned to this thread to give us an update on his progress)
Many go one route or the other on their graphics program, often depending on budget, and while Illy and Photoshop are definitely the most common vector and raster programs, when someone knows CorelDRAW and Photo Paint, or has access to someone who does, they can end up with the same result.
I think that ideally, this discussion would get more Corel specific, and get answered by Richard Reily or another Corel Master.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 05:21:23 PM »
you should be trapping, not choking. Just saying . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
if you want to stay within corel, and want to make ub and have a bitmap distress:
our fly by the seat of the pants method is to simply make the distress pattern MORE of itself or LESS of itself. some combination of transparency (for making less) and duplicating (for making more).
50% knockout (transparency) for the distress on everything that AIN'T the ub works decently (the decision to knockback more or less is determined by the art/customer desires).

it's a crap shoot doing it like this honestly. we really ought to learn how to use PS well. there's gold in them thar hills.

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 11:08:46 AM »
So I've been using bitmap textures to lay over the top of some of my designs lately and have really been pleased with the outcome.  I never liked how vector textures would bog down Corel and just make the file sizes too large.

My issue is with using this technique for darks shirts that require an underbase. I'm not figuring out how to choke it like I need to. I could do this with vector because I could just trim the texture out of the UB and then add a stroke outline to it.

Possible solutions or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

The only way to choke a underbase for the bitmap distress filter portions you will need to edit the bitmap in PhotoPAINT and either reduce or expand the filter anywhere between 1 to 3 pixels.  You should be able to just double click the bitmap and it open directly into PhotoPAINT form inside your active Corel file.  When inside Paint, select the objects (distress pattern), expand your selection 1 to 2 pixels and fill white.  When you click save, it will make the adjustments and bring you back to Draw.  This should choke your underase for the distress areas. 

Also suggest playing with choke percentages and see what works best for your particular distress filters, art and printing equipment
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ® 

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 01:59:21 PM »
Or do an old fashioned choke when you burn the screen. Print the underbase film with no choke, when you burn the screen, put a blank sheet of film between the underbase film and screen and over-expose a bit.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »
Or do an old fashioned choke when you burn the screen. Print the underbase film with no choke, when you burn the screen, put a blank sheet of film between the underbase film and screen and over-expose a bit.

Oh my, that's old school, and cool. I've always used both Illy (or Freehand way back) and Photoshop, whether in combination, or either one on there own. I, and many others here, have received vector files so convoluted by the creators (6 black, 4 white, 15 blues...) that they are considerably easier to sep in Channels in PS. Conversely, large raster images that are so simple it's easier to do a trace and work with vectors. My point is that one needs skills in both environments in our field. Without seeing the design, I'm not sure if I'd trap or choke...

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Inkworks

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Pad&Screenprinter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 05:49:26 PM »
Hey any port in a storm. Us lowly vector guys need a few tricks up our sleeves for when the going gets tough.... or pixilated :D
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
Hey any port in a storm. Us lowly vector guys need a few tricks up our sleeves for when the going gets tough.... or pixilated :D

Of course, one does what works too. I go all the way back to tray developing films in a darkroom in the seventies, and we had a number of tricks for trapping and choking we learned through Kodak publications (What's an internet?)...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tse1990

• !!!
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
End result:

Use photoshop not corel.

How much adjusting in levels is enough to consider it scaled back properly? I'm going through the same problem in Illy.. started a whole new thread. Then found this :D