Author Topic: 1 too many screen racks  (Read 2171 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
1 too many screen racks
« on: September 12, 2016, 07:06:34 PM »
I've had an extra screen rack floating around here in my small cramped area that always seemed to get in the way.  I'd have to move 1 of my 6 racks around to get access to something else in my dark room for a while now.  So I thought I'd make good use of it and bolt it to the wall with a 2x4 behind the top side of it so that it had a slant to let the frame channels drain while the fans hit them from the top after reclaim.  I know it's tacky to leave the casters on it. :D 

Next, I'm going to make a channel and attach it to the front bottom so that all the water will drain off on 1 side into a bucket. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 1 too many screen racks
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 07:42:01 PM »
Holy crap that's redneck.  But great idea.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »
Holy crap that's redneck.  But great idea.
lol

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »
That's.  very similar to what I've done with a rack. Trying to move a bottleneck, which happens to be drying screens after developing. I have a table with a cart on it much like you show. It sits between my developing sink and my taping area. So now when we have two or three people in pre press, whoever is developing slides them in on one side of the rack (FKA cart) and people taping can grab from the other side. No more tripping over each other and a better flow. Still a little redneck.

FKA=Formerly Known As
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
It's pretty nice for post screen development also.  To be fair it wasn't my idea.  I seen this in a video here way back and was impressed so I finally had the time to do the same here.   Mine is just a little more rednecky. lol

Offline Doug B

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 08:58:29 AM »
  When I short of rack space for flat stock I cut down some sheets of 110 pt.
chipboard for shelves and it worked fine as long as I didn't put too much weight
on it. I keep the board for when I am doing small pieces or when all the other
racks are full. Talk about redneck.

Offline Itsa Little CrOoked

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 05:11:31 PM »
That pressure washer looks to be exactly what I use. Do you like yours? I wish mine had about 500 more #'s of oomph, but it works for everything from reclaiming to stubborn halftone development without blowing out stencil. It could be that 500 more might be too much.

It looks like the rack has JUUUUUUUUST barely enough aluminum to catch the frames. But with that type of extrusion it's hard to get all the water out, 100%. You've definitely helped that, and forget the 'REDNECK' part of this. If it works, it works!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 05:30:15 PM »
There is only about a 1/8" holding the top of the frame.  It definitely speeds up the drying.  Before when I would reclaim of an evening with just racking with it upright I would still have a little water dripping from the corners the next morning.  Now I can reclaim and they are ready to coat within about 2 hours.  I don't have a heated cabinet so this will have to do for the time being. 

The pressure washer is the northstar 2000.  I really like it, it's a definite upgrade to the greenwork units I used to buy.  I've had this one for about a year.  It has enough pressure that it kind of wears on the wrist with a couple of hours of use.