Author Topic: Capillary for glitter?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Capillary for glitter?
« on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:48 AM »
What capillary film micron thickness would you recommend for printing glitter through a 30 mesh?  I can't seem to ever coat those screen door meshes without it running through and leaving mountains on the shirt side of the screen which would create a head strike on the i image.  Thanks
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Capillary for glitter?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
something up in the 300 micron range for big (.008) glitter particles seems to work the best here.

I've been successful coating with Saati PHW up into that range without major issues.. (does take multiple coatings tho to get it right).

Haven't had any problems imaging it on the i-image either.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
I think that is what I'll do and that is to coat a really thin layer front and back and scoop coat the extra off and let that dry.  I'll coat a a thicker layer on the shirt side after the 1st coat dries and dry it shirt side up let it dry and repeat. 

The only capillary that I've found that thick is super phat but at around $33 a screen I think the extra coats of emulsion is my best option.

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 10:35:06 AM »
I think that is what I'll do and that is to coat a really thin layer front and back and scoop coat the extra off and let that dry.  I'll coat a a thicker layer on the shirt side after the 1st coat dries and dry it shirt side up let it dry and repeat. 

The only capillary that I've found that thick is super phat but at around $33 a screen I think the extra coats of emulsion is my best option.

that's why we ended up learning how to coat thick like that... we have a drying cabinet so it speeds things up.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
How about an extremely thick emulsion used for High Density?
http://www.ccidom.com/us/en/products/emulsion/hd-red-pre-sensitized-emulsion/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
That's what the PHW is...

http://www.saati.com/images/chemicals/products/textil_phw.pdf

one trick I've found when doing thick stencils is to do a 1/1 ... dry for 10-15 minutes in the drying cabinet... then apply additional coats on the squeegee side (4-5)... let it fully dry, and then 1 more coat squeegee side to smooth everything out.

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
We just do a 2/2 coat on 38 mesh for glitter.  We are starting to print our cheer leading competition shirts we do for a national comp so we print a ton of glitter from now until February.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:15 AM »
Have to mention Union among others offer a WB glitter which I believe to be superior to plas versions. Yes there is a learning curve but once you get there its smooth sailing without the cap film issues among others. Tremendously better finished product as well.
tp

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 09:39:01 AM »
I'm definetely going to coat with a higher solids emulsion.  Something in the 50%+ range.  Thanks everyone.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:08 AM »
I'm definitely going to coat with a higher solids emulsion.  Something in the 50%+ range.  Thanks everyone.

Remember to look at both solids content and viscosity.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?