Author Topic: Windows 7. Font management?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Windows 7. Font management?
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
Are there any good PC/Windows 7 font management programs out there?

On the Mac there are many.  For PC, using the default options is horrible unless I am missing something.

1, it didn't seem like to can manage them by turning them on/off as needed, taking up ram. I have to either install or delete.
2, you can't organize them into groups or categories by theme/look. E.g. holiday, scary or scripts-hand brush or fancy.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Windows 7. Font management?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
Don't you now have the CorelDRAW suite? For many versions, it included Font Navigator which is not too shabby. How fonts get organized is up to you, but it will allow you to keep all of your fonts on the computer (and some of our libraries grow to thousands) but only actually install the ones you need.
This was really much more important before hard drives grew so, and nowadays, we can have a helluva lot more installed without losing performance.

I believe that CorelDRAW X8 now has its own proprietary font management program, and I can not report if it is an improvement or not.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 01:47:37 PM »
I do not. I don't have the suite. I have CD X3 and only get in it to open a file and export as psd.
Other than that, I don't know anything about it. Also, that is (inside of a program). If rather be able to organize within the system so that ai can use my programs, access different fonts within any program.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »
I did not know that CorelDRAW was available as a stand-alone, and thought that it always came with PHOTOPAINT, and depending on versions, Bitstream Font Manager, and other things like Capture, and Connect and Duplexing.

And, Bitstream Font Navigator works across your platform to all font-using applications.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Well, there ya go. That's why Ibe has so many concerns with font management.  I didn't buy Corel, I bought the PC from another printer and he left Corel on it. I guess he didn't think to leave Bitstream font mgr. on it.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
Well, there ya go. That's why Ibe has so many concerns with font management.  I didn't buy Corel, I bought the PC from another printer and he left Corel on it. I guess he didn't think to leave Bitstream font mgr. on it.

What version of Windows?
In 7, I click the Start icon (Windows logo), then click "All Programs" and see exactly what is in the Corel Folder.

Maybe with luck, you'll find more there than you knew of.
In fact, in your DRAW, in the Bitmap drop-down, do have the option to "Edit Bitmap"? assuming that you have a bitmap or converted to bit map. That usually opens PHOTOPAINT

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 05:45:34 PM »
I appreciate the assistance. I'll check that out later when I get home.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 08:17:14 PM »
Extensis font management.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline StinkyDaddy

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 11:06:16 PM »
I'm using Nexus Font, it's open source.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
I'm using Nexus Font, it's open source.

Thanks for that. I downloaded and so far, it looks like what I need. Fantastic!

Thanks again for all who commented.

Dan

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2016, 04:16:30 PM »
An interesting tweak when using Nexus is that it's best to turn off the Windows Font Cache service. I found things got sluggish after a while but the tweak sped things up