Author Topic: C drive efficiency?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: C drive efficiency?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 04:42:36 PM »
Glad you got it figured out Dan....BUT, a 136 GB C: partition is pretty small. Especially when you have all that available space elsewhere.
Not sure what the specs are of your drivesare, but a nice 250 GB or 500 GB SSD as your boot/C: drive would make your system come to life.

A few years back, SSD's were not as affordable as today, and 128 drives for the C were pretty common. That's my predicament.

by a Crucial drive, it comes with a utility that will transfer everything to your new drive. You can be up and running with a bigger drive with very little headache. I think it took two reboots and a software install.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »
Glad you got it figured out Dan....BUT, a 136 GB C: partition is pretty small. Especially when you have all that available space elsewhere.
Not sure what the specs are of your drivesare, but a nice 250 GB or 500 GB SSD as your boot/C: drive would make your system come to life.

A few years back, SSD's were not as affordable as today, and 128 drives for the C were pretty common. That's my predicament.

by a Crucial drive, it comes with a utility that will transfer everything to your new drive. You can be up and running with a bigger drive with very little headache. I think it took two reboots and a software install.

pierre

Intel and Samsung drives also come with cloning tools, super easy.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »

pierre

Won't they all also require some sort of usb/SATA adapter or Drive Dock or something?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 06:15:24 PM »

pierre

Won't they all also require some sort of usb/SATA adapter or Drive Dock or something?

Unless it's a laptop you should have multiple SATA ports internally.

Offline Wildcard

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 06:31:27 AM »
I just transferred over to ssd on my laptop and desktop and it is well worthwhile for the speed boost. The cloning software with the Samsung drives was pretty good to use. I used an external drive enclosure to clone the drive before switching them around.

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 07:08:12 AM »
One sneaky and often overlooked waster of hard drive space in Windows systems is in fact the trash can itself.

Right click on your recycle bin logo and click properties, you will see how much space the trash is "reserving" on your hard drive, and note that it will retain the same space for EVERY partition as well. You can change the size, apply to all partitions and reboot.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Jay Kay

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 10:08:30 PM »
I know this thread is a little older Dan, but do you have an Nvidia graphics card? I know those driver installs can leave GIGS worth of temp files that can safely be deleted after installation. Just a heads up to anyone with Nvidia cards looking to free up space.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2016, 11:02:43 PM »
Yes,  it is an Nvidia.  That reminds me to check that again and delete some out. I only took out the big ones last time and cleared me up very well.  Thanks!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 11:56:58 AM »
Same issue again.  I've removed some large files from the Application Data/Local/Temp/Files folder, but still too full.

I have these 16gb page files but not sure if I can just remove them. I tried relocating it to another drive and it's assigned to the other drive but still shows up on the C drive as the 16 gb.

Can they just be deleted/cleared out and it rebuilds up again?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »
Try manually cleaning out your Temp Folder. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2602104/windows/how-to-clean-your-windows-temp-folder.html . Sometimes that will but you  some real-estate.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »

One can easily say, "get a bigger HD"  but I still go back to (I'm not adding any programs or anything on here) for this to increase.

I don't know about Mac OS characteristics, but this definitely seems to come with the Windows territory. Like flypaper, things just seem to be attracted to and stick as time goes on.
The fact that this problem keeps returning is the reason that the suggestion of increasing the size of the "C" drive is really worth considering.
Also, an almost full drive does not perform as well as one only half full.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Prōdigium

• Something New Is Coming.....Prōdigium
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:15 AM »
Same issue again.  I've removed some large files from the Application Data/Local/Temp/Files folder, but still too full.

I have these 16gb page files but not sure if I can just remove them. I tried relocating it to another drive and it's assigned to the other drive but still shows up on the C drive as the 16 gb.

Can they just be deleted/cleared out and it rebuilds up again?

In your system settings you can assign a page file to ANY drive or partition. You must select the manually manage the size, uncheck your C drive and select another drive. The page file will not be deleted until you reboot. I would also note that its better to put the page file on another hard drive, not just another partition of the same drive as C so you can squeeze out a little more performance, especially if its a SSD drive.

After that, you can run a little app called CC cleaner that can overwrite unused drive space...takes a lot of time, then defrag the drive. You will notice more performance and disk space. One note...I think 16G of page file is excessive unless your using a SSD. By using less page file your making your computer use RAM which is always faster then a normal hard drive. I also set my min & max to the same size (1.5x my RAM)  to flush the page file.
Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous positions.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »
To which I would add, switch to an SSD.  It's like a new computer.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
I believe it is a SSD. I'll have to check again to be sure but I think I checked on that one since someone else made the same comment.

Then also, someone else mentioned same thing the prodigy did and I did that, but it may be a duplicate and is still running off the C Dr. Unless which is probably the more obvious answer Is that I did something out of sequence.