Author Topic: Wet-on-wet printing parameters  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
Re: Wet-on-wet printing parameters
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
For discussing build up we need to know:

inks,
mesh counts,
mesh tension,
squeegee hardness,
sharpness of squeegee,
Temp of boards while running,
cool down stations?
stroke speed,
number of strokes,

Garment type can come into play as well.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Raywilflex

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 07:03:18 AM »
Hey all!
I want to apologize for this mistake. It's all my fault. I inadvertently mis-edited this document and it ran some thoughts together.
We are fixing this document as soon as possible.
Obviously the thought was that the platens and ink performs better when warmed up. I usually will start my run when the platens hit 100 - 120 degrees, but the bare platen can reach higher. For the most part, once you load the shirt, it will take the surface temperature down. Monitoring the flash units to our specifications will keep the platens to a safe temperature.
The ink surface temperature will need to reach 180-215 F in order to flash. (see the PIB for the product you are flashing)
thanks for your attention (for reading) and your understanding (I hope)!
Ray Smith _ Wilflex

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
To expand a little for other printers:

Fast Flash inks can flash as low as 150 F.  Typically around 160 F.  A normal base white will flash within the parameters Ray has set forth.

The reason why more whites/inks are not fast flash:  Storage and transport.

Sitting on a shelf, historically those inks have thickened up more over time.

During transport, the sides of a truck can reach well over 120 F.  Internally the ink can sit at 110 F or higher for extended periods of time.  This will cause the ink to start "flashing"/gelling up.  Becoming much thicker and unusable.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
FYI:  Ray and Wilflex have update the piece to reflect proper platen temps. Same link should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com